cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 5.0.07.0440 freezes in Windows 7 64 bit

js
Level 1
Level 1

I have the latest version of the VPN client isntalled.  I've re-installed it several times.  When I start the program - it will freeze, and be come very slow.  Like usually 2-3 minutes per click.  It will eventually connect, but  the application, is almost unresponsive most of the time.

I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit (duo core)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

blackmichael
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue on 2 machines.  did you make any head way on this.?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

blackmichael
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue on 2 machines.  did you make any head way on this.?

Yes – it was I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with Real-time protection set to On:. If I took that off – then I didn’t have the Freeze problem.

Thank you! That fixed the issue for me. I'm curious about changing the install folder to "Program Files" (no x86) as Javier points out. I wonder if that would avoid the issue altogether.

aknieper
Level 1
Level 1

So far in Know 64 Bit operating Systems like Windows 7 are not supported for the "old" IPSEC VPN client. We use the Anyconnect client and that Works fine.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Gentlemen,

We do support the IPsec client on W7 64 bit.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=281940730&catid=268438162&os=Windows&softwareid=282364316&release=5.0.07.0440&rellifecycle=&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=all

On the other hand, I have noticed an interesting behaviour during the installation process, specially on computers upgraded to 64 bit from 32 bit.

When you install the Client, the default folder points to "Program Files (x86)" instead of "Program Files", when you re-install it, please make sure to define the "Program Files" folder as the correct folder, once done, reboot the computer and test it out.

BTW, you might want to run Ccleaner (registry cleaner) in order to clean up the system prior to re-installing the client.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks in advance.

Jacob Pyle
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue with Win 7 ultimate 64bit.  I also solved it by disabling real-time protection in Miscrosoft Security Essentials. 

Zwargolak
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys. I have a problem, win 1o pro. Trying to install Anyconnect and it freezes at "Preparing files for removal"

It stays there for ages. If i click Cancel the process will cancel after 2-3 tries (have to use task manager to kill that process) with Client setup wizard ended prematurely.

Never had it installed. any idea what to do?
Thanks!

Hi,

The plain old VPN client is EOL and not supported on Windows 10, your experience thus may vary. However, there have been engineers making it work on Windows 10, just search youtube for "cisco vpn client 5.0.07 windows 10". You may get it installed, but functionality may be random.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

I'm trying to install 4.7.04056Cannot download any other build because im not allowed. I have this from work, need it to work from home. And it can't install i see.Maybe an installed version will work? so i can ask a colleague to zip the installed forlder and send it to me?

Hi,

The installer needs to make some systems and registry changes, except the obvious of dumping some files and folders into Program Files and Users folder. So, in order to have a chance to make it work and be as stable as possible, you would have to pass the installing phase successfully.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Yeah, it crossed my minds it will not work. But the installing is stuck. i let it like this for 4 hours and nothing. Cancel it, ask me if im sure, press yes and nothing. not even closing. Have to use task manager to kill the process.Cannot download another from cisco because i have no rights. 

Got another version (webdeploy - i had predeploy) and i have the same problem. it cannot be installed, stiuck at preparing files for removal
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: