cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN configuration

David Grant
Level 1
Level 1

in an existing firewall with several VPN connections, is it advisable to use the VPN wizard in ASDM to configure addtional VPN connections or use the VPN section under configure in the ASDM?

which one is preferred?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Under Configuration > Remote Access VPN (or Site-to-Site VPN as the case may be).

I recommend that because you have full control over the details (unlike the Wizard which only exposes a subset of the options available to you).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The wizard is fine for a simple single VPN setup.

For anything with more complexity or setting up a new VPN where several already exist I'd recommend you go with the detailed configuration sections - and only after understanding the setup for the existing ones. In either case, I always have my ASDM set to preview commands before applying so that I can see exactly what's going on at the command line and learn / reinforce my knowledge of the actual configuration commands.

(Personally I'd do the whole thing by command line unless I needed to create a client profile and even then I might do that by hand; but then I've done hundreds over the years.)

Thanks Marvin,

can you please clerify:

For anything with more complexity or setting up a new VPN where several already exist I'd recommend you go with the detailed configuration sections under the VPN wizard? Or under configure then VPN section? 

Under Configuration > Remote Access VPN (or Site-to-Site VPN as the case may be).

I recommend that because you have full control over the details (unlike the Wizard which only exposes a subset of the options available to you).