cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Protected Traffic

lincolnp1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have built a l2tp vpn via the pdm wizard which works great but we have a question about security.

The 'bypass access-lists for l2tp' traffic was selected, which allows one to have access to all internal hosts - this is something we want changed i.e.to allow the vpn client access to only internal server.

We've tried un-flagging the l2tp access-list & configuring ACEs' but was not successful. Can someone pls provide me with a work around ...

Regards

Lincoln

2 Replies 2

shannong
Level 4
Level 4

That is the appropriate work around. There must be ACEs on the outside interface to allow the traffic in. The ACEs must references the IP addresses handed out to clients as the source. The destination depends on the configuration.

If you have nat 0 configured to prevent translation for traffic going from the internal server to the VPN pool addresses, then the ACEs should reference the private IP of server as the destination. This is recommended.

You could also setup a static statement for the server to be available on the outside interface by its inside address, but this would be available for all hosts on the outside interface and not just the VPN clients.

To test your configuration, make sure that logging is set to debuging for the buffer and show the log while trying to ping the server in question. It will tell you exactly what is wrong.

Hi, thanks Shannon - I will definetely give this a try & will let you know of the results. Due to month end stats I will only try this possibly early next week ...

Regards

Lincoln