cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to exclude mobile devices from authentication

vince.steiner
Level 1
Level 1

So i have a default identity policy that takes the identity of a user from an AD agent, i have also set up NTLM transparent authentication in case AD agent can not identify the user.

it works well on our windows domain attached PCs but there is a problem with mobile devices (ipads, iphones, droids, etc) every time they want to use the browser, app, people are being asked to put their credentials.

is there a way of excluding all of these mobile devices from this NTLM authentication? this is on ASA CX, i have an option to add a identity policy above this one, but how can i add mobile devices as a source?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi gregory,
If i'm not missing something there's no way to discriminate mobile users to exempt it from authentication. I think you need to create a Specific vlan for mobile users then create an identity specifying the new subnet and exempt it from authentication.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Your other option, if the ASA CX allows it, is to create an identity for the User-Agent strings that the mobile devices use and not require authentication for those strings...   Its doable on the WSA, but I don't know about the CX...

I tried that, and i can create user/device agent based object, but somehow i can not use it a s a source, i can only use network, IP range as a source.

If you was able to create user/device agent that identify mobile users so you can crate an identity based on user agents.

When you add an identity, in the lower left-side corner click on "advanced" then click on "None Selected" line next to "User Agents" . Then you can add your Custom User Agents strings in the list.

Regards

I can create a source object group based by  User agent object , but then the problem is that in the actual policy i can only add network sources as a sources, not this source object based on user agent identity i created.

i can add screenshots if needed, i this WSA may be more advanced that ASA CX

Hi Gregory,

please add screenshot so i can better understand the problem.

Thanks.

Regards