cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex Monitoring Service Agent Installation

aetherealm
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone here got the Webex Monitoring Service Agent to install successfully? We followed the very sparse documentation that they have here for it to the T, and we still get the error "We did not detect a valid audio driver on the machine" during install. I have a TAC case open, but so far it hasn't made any traction. We first tried on an ESXi host that had no sound card, but according to the documentation simply having remote audio through RDP is supposed to suffice.

We've now moved to a physical server that has an onboard sound card, but are still not able to get the agent to install. Audio devices appear in device manager, and whether I choose use remote PC for audio or not does not fix the issue.

I've also checked that the Windows Audio services are running and set to automatic start as well.

9 Replies 9

Ian Walton
Level 5
Level 5

Reference this document - The critical part "If you're signing in remotely to install the Webex Monitoring Service software on a virtual machine, make sure to set the sound setting to output through the virtual machine. For example, if you're using Microsoft Remote Desktop, set the Play sound setting to On the remote PC in the Devices & Audio tab."

https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/nl9ahwg/Webex-Monitoring-Service-in-Control-Hub#id_118058

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Hey guys;

I am having the same issue here, I have vmware HD Audio driver installed for this VM, and the setup went just fine; but the interface displays no data; wondering if you managed to fix the issue and if you know the log location for this service.

evogas
Level 1
Level 1

I am having this problem as well but I am installing it in my DC which runs on Vmware esxi 6.5.  So since my UCS cluster doesn't have a audio card installed I called Vmware and they said they don't support adding Audio devices if no PCI card is isntalled on the host but then they told me to hack it but they would not support it.  

so I followed the steps here and was able to get an audio device installed on the server 
http://virtualvillage.cloud/?p=546

but then that didn't work either even if the audio drivers were isntalled. I then installed https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/  to put another audio driver on the virtual machine and it didn't work either.  Would anyone have any other ideas or do I really have to put Physical machines for this to work?

Let me know

thanks

Evans

aetherealm
Level 1
Level 1
Update:
The documentation has these requirements listed specifically:

Requirements
To use the Webex Monitoring Service, you must use a dedicated machine that meets these minimum requirements:

64-bit Windows Server 2016 or later version

Physical or virtual machine must have an audio driver enabled

A 4-core processor or higher

8 GB of RAM

20 GB of free storage

But because I was getting impatient I tried to install it on my Windows 10 laptop, and it worked absolutely fine and registered to the service. I'm waiting to hear back from TAC about this, and I may try to actually stand up a dedicated Windows 10 device to host this instead of my laptop.

After dealing with exactly the same problem as described here, installing virtual audio card emulation software such as https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/ solved the problem. 

Webex Monitoring Service Agent is now up&running and operational in Control Hub. 

Waiting still for data to be gathered.

@mguguvcevski Were you ever able to get the statistics to be gathered properly? I now have a server with the vb virtual audio drivers installed, and it lists as operational in the control hub. I also have several room kits added, and those list as operational as well. It doesn't appear as though the agent is passing statistics to the control hub though as everything just stays at N/A.

Same behavior here - three agents, no issue in setup, all listed as operational in the Hub, but no stats yet. Still under 24hrs since installation - wondering if they show up after a day of aggregation. @aetherealm did your stats ever show up?

That's really interesting; it just so happens I had that installed on my laptop which this worked on because I needed it for a completely different issue. Very coincidental. I'll install it on the server and see what happens.

Update:
Despite working on my HP Windows 10 laptop, it did not work on a brand new Dell desktop PC with audio drivers that were only 2 months old. I've updated the TAC case again. Still no word on what drivers are "supported" or not as there's no documentation to go by.