cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Program Speed-Dial to include "pause" (,) on MPP phone

Driveist2001
Level 1
Level 1

We cannot successfully program a Cisco 8800-series device with Speed-Dial on a Line Key so that the dial string includes one or more "pauses" (,). 

The Cisco documentation (User Guide for 8800-series) describes how to set this function and we are able to enter and save the dial string (including pause characters in the Number field of the Speed-Dial Line Key) however once programmed the phone will not dial out.  When the line key is pressed after being programmed with a dial string that includes anything more than 10-digits (or 11 including +E164) the device does not call out, it only gives an operator error saying "We're sorry your call cannot be completed at this time. Please hang up and try your call again later. Thank you."

If we change the text string in the Number field to only include 10-digits (or a valid extension) and press the Speed Dial key, then the call rings and completes normally.

When we go in and examine the speed dial entry after it is saved the text string in the Number field is there just as we entered it, but it also has been appended with "@cloudcalling.domain.com".  (Example:  8015551212,,,0@cloudcalling.domain.com)

My theory on the reason the call is not completing is that Webex Calling is not recognizing the string as a PSTN number, so it is trying to route the call within Webex, but of course there is no valid extension or internal number that matches the dial string so it plays the operator message. 

Does anyone have any information that might help with this issue?

I've copied & pasted the portion of the documentation describing the Speed-Dial Number settings here: 

Speed-Dial Numbers

When you dial a number on your phone, you enter a series of digits. When you set up a speed-dial number, the speed-dial number must contain all the digits you need to make the call. For example, if you need to dial 9 to get an outside line, you enter the number 9 and then the number you want to dial.

You can also add other dialed digits to the number. Examples of additional digits include a meeting access code, an extension, a voicemail password, an authorization code, and a billing code.

The dial string can contain the following characters:

0 to 9
Pound (#)
Asterisk (*)
Comma (,)-This is the pause character, and gives a 2 second delay in the dialing. You can have several commas in a row. For example, two commas (,,) represent a pause of 4 seconds.
The rules for dial strings are:

Use the comma to separate the parts of the dial string.
An authorization code must always precede a billing code in the speed-dial string.
A single comma is required between the authorization code and the billing code in the string.
A speed-dial label is required for speed dials with authorization codes and additional digits.
Before you configure the speed dial, try to dial the digits manually at least once to ensure that the digit sequence is correct.

Your phone does not save the authorization code, billing code, or extra digits from the speed dial in the call history. If you press Redial after you connect to a speed-dial destination, the phone prompts you to enter any required authorization code, billing code, or additional digits manually.
Example

To set up a speed-dial number to call a person at a specific extension, and if you need an authorization code and billing code, consider the following requirements:

You need to dial 9 for an outside line.
You want to call 5556543.
You need to input the authorization code 1234.
You need to input the billing code 9876.
You must wait for 4 seconds.
After the call connects, you must dial the extension 56789#.
In this scenario, the speed-dial number is 95556543,1234,9876,,56789#.

1 Accepted Solution

Hi, Tac is wrong..... you must have a space between the dialed digits and the comma, I tested this out on my phone and the pause is working with the access code after the pause automatically working.

there is a discrepancy between the user guide and the admin guide (admin guide is correct) check out page 181

Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series Multiplatform Phone Administration Guide for Release 11.3(1) and Later

The problem is you have to manually add the speed dial to the phone, it currently isnt supported in Control Hub with a "space".... this is a bug that i have brought to Cisco's attention and it will be fixed in a future Control Hub update.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

bstudebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Just wanted to swing back on this, got word from my Cisco rep that this is now fixed in Control Hub, you can now add a space between the dialed digits and the , (comma). I tested it out on my end and its working.

Hi bstudebaker, where did you do this in control hub? I went to device then selected the device to configure, selected configure layout and tried to create the speed dial with spaces using a custom layout but I get the error of incorrect destination.

I can create the speed dial fine directly on the phone.

bstudebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever figure this out? I'm running into the same issue.

TAC confirmed speed dial does not support using a comma as a “pause”.

Hi, Tac is wrong..... you must have a space between the dialed digits and the comma, I tested this out on my phone and the pause is working with the access code after the pause automatically working.

there is a discrepancy between the user guide and the admin guide (admin guide is correct) check out page 181

Cisco IP Phone 8800 Series Multiplatform Phone Administration Guide for Release 11.3(1) and Later

The problem is you have to manually add the speed dial to the phone, it currently isnt supported in Control Hub with a "space".... this is a bug that i have brought to Cisco's attention and it will be fixed in a future Control Hub update.

Confirmed, and good stuff bstudebaker.

Program in layout in Control Hub, following syntax works for the number 555-867-5309, 2 second pause, * for extension access, 2 second pause, then extension dial.

15558675309 , * , 1234

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.