cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

API for Text Messaging

DannyBoemermann
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone figured out a way to use the API to send Text Messages? It appears the /v1/messages can only be used for messaging webex users.
I'm not able to get the personId for a text message contact, nor do the text message threads appear when listing rooms to be able to use the roomId. I'd like to use the API to create an integration that allows professors to 'direct' text message with their students.
Thanks

5 Replies 5

mparra.fusionet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @DannyBoemermann,

I feel your pain, as you and I would have expected the Webex Calling API should have the SMS, since Webex Calling has SMS, right?

As the other guys said it doesn't, so programmatically it can't be done for now just by having Webex Calling Licenses and enabling SMS.

https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-1236
In the original request somebody asked about API access, but only the ability to send texts was added, from an End user perspective yes is fixed/added, not programmatically can't send SMSs via API.

I suggest try with Webex Connect, which operates as a Cisco SMS message service (mostly intended used for call centers). I am working on what you want since our customers also want it, since the functionality (SMS message service) is on a different product (Webex Connect) but not on the Core Webex Calling API, it makes me think it is a business decision to force you to buy a separate product, but who knows!, maybe the Webex Calling API will add the SMS messaging functionality in the future, I will try to open an AHA request this weekend for this on Webex Calling API as it  as your use case has merit and will avoid us having to buy something separate to achieve the same result.

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

@DannyBoemermann, if you have Webex Calling, you can send/receive text/SMS messages.  Information is posted at this site:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/nesvbw3/Webex-App-%7C-Send-a-text-message 

This is part of licensing though so please check your Webex Suite licensing to make sure you have this feature available.  Webex on-prem does not include text/SMS though and there is currently no way to add it.

Response Signature

Correct. We currently have the ability to call/text from Webex, but I would like to use the API to send and then retrieve the text messages. The end goal is to create a webex integration for an existing web application.

Janos Benyovszki
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@DannyBoemermann the Webex Messaging API will only be able to send a message in a Webex space, not an SMS. This would need some 3rd party development if you want to make it work. If you have a text message service that you can use with API and webhooks, you would create Webex webhooks https://developer.webex.com/docs/webhooks to listen to Webex messages. Every time a user sends a message to your bot for example, the bot could trigger an SMS to a specific user.

Why would I need a third party to do the SMS? Webex is my text message service.