Helpful
Replies

Bot Visibility and Privacy

fdonnell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I am a Cisco employee.

I want to create a Bot, but I'm unsure of visibility control.  For example, I want to limit/control the rooms to which the Bot can be added.  Also, is the Bot visible globally (outside my company which is Cisco) in a person listing or the dialog to add persons to a space?

I suspect that the answers to these questions center around "my company or organization", but the documentation seems light in this area.

Thanks a lot,

Fred

2 Accepted Solutions

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By design the bot will be accessible to anyone with a webex account, whether they are in your org or an external org.

So it is up to the developer to limit/control the rooms that the bot is added to. This can be done through the webhook responses received. For example, you could create a memberships:created webhook with the bot's token so that any time the bot is added to a room, this webhook gets triggered. You then can read the JSON response returned to your target URL which should contain details such as the roomId that it was added to and orgId that it belongs to. In your code, you can then have logic that checks this info and allows the bot to be added or removes it (usually with a message added to the space saying 'this bot isn't allowed in this space' or something). This is just an example, not sure what your criteria is for a bot to be added to a space, but there are options to manage it.

View solution in original post

@fdonnell webhooks target URLs always need to be public, a webhook with a Cisco internal (or any other private) target URL will not work. If you want to get around that limitation, you can use websockets for certain resources https://developer.webex.com/blog/using-websockets-with-the-webex-javascript-sdk . They do not need a public target URL.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By design the bot will be accessible to anyone with a webex account, whether they are in your org or an external org.

So it is up to the developer to limit/control the rooms that the bot is added to. This can be done through the webhook responses received. For example, you could create a memberships:created webhook with the bot's token so that any time the bot is added to a room, this webhook gets triggered. You then can read the JSON response returned to your target URL which should contain details such as the roomId that it was added to and orgId that it belongs to. In your code, you can then have logic that checks this info and allows the bot to be added or removes it (usually with a message added to the space saying 'this bot isn't allowed in this space' or something). This is just an example, not sure what your criteria is for a bot to be added to a space, but there are options to manage it.

Hey Raffaele, thanks for the information. 

Quick follow up question if you happen to know: can WebEx webhooks work with/to a Cisco internal, corp routable server, or would it need to be internet facing endpoint?

Thanks, Fred

@fdonnell webhooks target URLs always need to be public, a webhook with a Cisco internal (or any other private) target URL will not work. If you want to get around that limitation, you can use websockets for certain resources https://developer.webex.com/blog/using-websockets-with-the-webex-javascript-sdk . They do not need a public target URL.

@Janos Benyovszki 

Interesting.  I'll read up on this.

Thanks for the reply.

Fred

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.