Views
Helpful
Replies

Meetings rate-limit policy

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Webex team,
I am working with Webex REST API, especially with meetings. Even if I use an admin account, I understand that there is a rate limit that can trigger a 429 error, with a retry-after indicating when I can send a new request:

https://developer.webex.com/docs/basics#rate-limiting : some arbitrary rate limit on the whole API + 2.4k requests per minute, per account limit
https://developer.webex.com/docs/api/v1/meetings/create-a-meeting : 3k calls / 24h limit on this peculiar call

My question is: what is the "counter" strategy behind this ?
Is there a counter reset after the indicating time (e.g. 24h), or is it some rolling count strategy, every request being decremented from it after said time ?

I understand that I have to comply with the rate limit, and I already implemented the advised strategy in my application.
I ask this question for having more insight about this, and plan usage limits for my application.

1 Accepted Solution

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, yes it is true that admin users can create up to 3000 meetings per day or to be exact, during a 24 hour period. For the same time period, normal hosts can only create up to 100 meetings. 

The way this is enforced is that once the admin starts creating meetings, the 24hr timer will start and count the meetings created. If 3000 meetings are created before the timer ends, the user will be rate limited. If the 24hr timer ends before the user creates 3000 meetings, it will reset the timer back to full 24hrs and a new batch of 3000 meetings can be created.

One other thing to add is that there may be cases where you might get limited before reaching the 3000 meetings mark, this may happen due to server loads at that specific time. That's why it's important to adhere to the retry-after header value.

Let us know in case of any queries.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Raffaele Lagana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, yes it is true that admin users can create up to 3000 meetings per day or to be exact, during a 24 hour period. For the same time period, normal hosts can only create up to 100 meetings. 

The way this is enforced is that once the admin starts creating meetings, the 24hr timer will start and count the meetings created. If 3000 meetings are created before the timer ends, the user will be rate limited. If the 24hr timer ends before the user creates 3000 meetings, it will reset the timer back to full 24hrs and a new batch of 3000 meetings can be created.

One other thing to add is that there may be cases where you might get limited before reaching the 3000 meetings mark, this may happen due to server loads at that specific time. That's why it's important to adhere to the retry-after header value.

Let us know in case of any queries.

Hi Raffaele, does your above statement "admin users can create up to 3000 meetings per day" mean that

• two admin users together can create 6000 meetings per day,
    OR
  • ALL admin users together can create 3k meetings per day, i.e. the sum of the new meetings created by all the individual admin account on that day, must be below 3000?

Is it possible to ask for an exception, with regard to the mandatory transition from XML API to REST API?

I believe that it's a limit on a per admin user basis, so yes in theory it should be possible for each admin (full admin that is) to create 3k meetings each per 24 hr range.

As for asking for an exception, I am not sure why exactly that is needed but it would be best to reach out to us through a support ticket by emailing us on devsupport@webex.com. Please describe the full use case for needing this and how you are currently restricted if it isn't granted. This way we can then check with engineering through official internal channels if needed. Thanks.