cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The new Webex app stealing my keyboard shortcut

PedroW
Level 1
Level 1

The new Webex application (aka Cisco Spark, process CiscoCollabHost.exe) is capturing Alt+Shift+S as a global keyboard shortcut. I use this shortcut in another application and it stopped working there because Webex captures it first. I did not find what the purpose of this keyboard shortcut is in webex/spark and how to turn it off.
Thanks for any help

23 Replies 23

tobias.zillmann
Level 1
Level 1

Any Updates?
The hotkey topic should be on the roadmap one year ago

Ctrl + Shift + x is stolen by the webex client. There is a checkbox in options but it makes no difference.

@Steven Terry are you still on this?

Craig-WSI
Level 1
Level 1

Seconding FrustratedUser, since the most recent update webex started capturing ctrl - Shift - X causing a productivity impact.  Looking through numerus forums the only solution is install an open source script or kill webex, neither are acceptable.

How is it acceptable for Cisco to hijack 50 some keyboard shortcuts globally with no option to disable or modify?  Extremally disappointed with Cisco. 

FrustratedUser
Level 1
Level 1

Let's drag this old topic out of the depths of hell.

since a few days I'm having issues with the webex app that takes control of my Ctrl - Shift - X keyboard combination. It's supposedly on a list to add the ability to disable this in the future of almost a year. When will this option be added? Has there been any word on this?

It is seriously impacting my work speed :@

keat.huang.lee
Level 1
Level 1

same issue F6 , shift+F10. 

can just remove all GLOBAL shortcut key ?

tobias.zillmann
Level 1
Level 1

Same Problem. Webex stole my Ctrl + R hotkey.

This should not be happening! Global Hotkeys that are not even disableable..

I have to close the app. The main function of beeing available is not given 0/5

Pierre Quélin
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue. (Ctrl+Shift+J, Ctrl+Shift+/,...)

I can't leave the application open when developing, the ultimate for this type of application!

All keyboard shortcuts are captured even when the apps is not selected. This feature can't be disabled, need to quit the application continue to work.

Is there a registered bug issue ?

Best regards

No news ?!§
This application is the worst communication application I have ever seen.
It is simply unusable for the main function it is intended for.
No ticketing system is available for the users.
At first glance, no update either, which seems rather consistent with the previous point.
Simply run away!!!

Steven Terry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Shift+Alt+S is used to Pause or Resume your Screen Share. You can find a complete list of webex shortcuts in the below link. Right now they are not customizable but that feature is on the roadmap. I would see if you have the issue when the application does not have focus. I.e. minimize webex and open a new app that you usually use the shortcut key on and see if you still have the issue when focus is not on the webex app. If so, get a TAC case opened for it and they might be able to provide a workaround until the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts is released. Hope that helps!

https://help.webex.com/en-us/7wr87q/Webex-Keyboard-Navigation-and-Shortcuts

Hi - 

I use Photoshop along with Webex.  Photoshop is a very keyboard-shortcut driven application.  I find that several of my shortcuts are being "eaten" by Webex.  In particular, ctrl-shift-c (copy merged in Photoshop).  Because of Webex, I now need to move my mouse to pull down the edit menu, then copy-merged in Photoshop - which is the opposite of a time-saving shortcut.  

Is there a workaround?  Or do I simply need to quit Webex whenever I use Photoshop?  

Thanks,

Ben

It's been a while since the update that took away our shortcuts. No reply or anything yet, no roadmap no nothing. Seriously frustrating and annoying.

@Steven Terry  Is there any update on the issue? 

Hi Steve, thanks for your quick response.

My keyboard shortcut Alt+Shift+S is global for webex, so webex captures it regardless of what application has focus currently. But the shortcut is local to the other application so it normally only works if the other application has focus. So yes, the issue occurs when the other application has focus (otherwise the shortcut would not work anyway).

I opened a TAC case.
Thanks again.

Any luck with the TAC?

Is there a workaround to disable the global hotkeys?

Hey Pedro,

Roger that. Good news is that customizable shortcuts are on the roadmap. So when that rolls out, hopefully, you won't run into a similar issue again. Hope you have a great rest of your day!

Hi Steve,

Customizable shortcuts isn't really the solution to this problem. As stated above, the problem is that the WebEx app is capturing keyboard shortcuts even when it is not in focus. That should not be happening. Apps should be able to define the same keyboard combinations for shortcuts, but should only capture them when the app is in focus.

So while customizable shortcuts is on the roadmap, when will the real issue be resolved?

Thanks!

Hey Pedro,

Thank you very much for the update. I would go ahead and get a service request opened for that and TAC should be able to assist you with that issue.

V/r

Steven

I'm actually not Pedro. I'm another user with the same issue as Pedro. I'm constantly performing actions inside the WebEx app even when it's not in focus, because it steals the keyboard shortcuts that I'm issuing to my other application that is in focus.

What is TAC? Are you submitting the service request for this? Your response is unclear.

Thanks!

Hi Steve. Do you have an estimate when the customizable shortcuts feature will be available? "On the roadmap" sounds to me like at least few months, I was just wondering if you maybe have a better estimate.
Thanks

Hey Pedro,

Unfortunately, there isn't a hard date on this feature yet. As more information comes available I'll update this thread.

The last update finally fixed my issue, took you guys long enougn!

I'm on version 43.1.024716 (windows 11), and I still have keyboard shortcuts conflicts. Does anyone have a solution ?

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.