Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webex failed to connect to server

Hi all,

I have a long running issue trying to log into webex (teams) on my pc, my colleagues pcs are fine. The error presents itself as the message "failed to connect to the server. sorry about that" however the problem is not one of network connectivity. Examining the logs I see the following message when connectivity is successful on other pcs and the subsequent message upon failure on mine. Does anyone have any clue as to what the underlying problem could be? 

success

2021-02-04T06:51:22.203Z <Info> [9372] LifecycleManager.cpp:225 LifecycleManager::attemptToLoginWithCachedUser:[Login] Attempting to login based on previously logged in credentials.
2021-02-04T06:51:22.204Z <Debug> [9372] LifecycleManager.cpp:232 LifecycleManager::attemptToLoginWithCachedUser::<lambda_9d327e99e37f871ef3f63dbcf08aa861>::operator ():[Login] Found user configuration location.

failure
2021-02-04T06:57:11.384Z <Info> [9240] LifecycleManager.cpp:225 LifecycleManager::attemptToLoginWithCachedUser:[Login] Attempting to login based on previously logged in credentials.
2021-02-04T06:57:11.385Z <Debug> [9240] LifecycleManager.cpp:329 LifecycleManager::attemptToLoginWithCachedUser::<lambda_9d327e99e37f871ef3f63dbcf08aa861>::operator ():[Login] Could not find previous user in the shared database.
15 Replies 15

I saw in the error log message "HTTP request was canceled because the request failed the ssl verification check", so after googling I found this New Root Certificate Authority for Cisco Webex Services from March 2021. So I went to Downloads and Drivers | IdenTrust and downloaded file IdenTrust Commercial Root CA. Then imported this file into machine Trust Root Certification Authorities storage and immediately was able to connect. Hope this will help someone, who has the same problem.

Strange that this root CA was not preinstalled. I use Windows 11 23H2 with all latest updates.

daniepad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition, if you take a packet capture while reproducing the issue and find a TLS handshake failure with Webex services. you may need to check that you have enabled the next cipher suites:

TLSv1.2
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384

TLSv1.3
TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256

You can use third-party software to check it. Like IIS Crypto

GEO0011
Level 1
Level 1

it says, for me, that the authentication and/ or admin servers are having problems. this is preventing me from doing my school work.whatintarnation.pngthisisconcerning.pngthisispainful.png

archon_fung
Level 1
Level 1

I had this exact problem on Mac - WebEx reported "We've encountered a glitch connecting to server"

I tried a lot of things, but what finally worked was using the Cisco uninstaller to completely remove WebEx, and then reinstalling the application from the installer.

Fritz_H
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@christopher.green 

some quick ideas...

* Did you try to log off from the Webex-Client and log on again?  (not just quit and restart the application)
* Does logon work on the Web-Interface (web.webex.com)?
* You may try to reset the local database of the Webex-Client (Help > Health Checker > Reset Database)

Hi and thank you for your responses.
Yes, I've tried the log off.
The web interface works fine.
I can't get beyond the login screen so the help option is not available to me.

@christopher.green 

Thanks for your quick response.

Since the Web-Interface does work, we may consider your Webex-Account as "OK".

next guess:
perhaps the local Client-Application is broken.
Since all data (Chat-History, Content, Teams, Spaces etc..) is stored in the Cisco-Cloud I do not see much risk in un-installing and re-installing the Client-Application.  (by default no admin-privileges required)
Perhaps you may want to check/note/memorize your Client settings first (notification-settings, A/V-settings etc.. ) since they are not stored in the cloud (AFAIK).

Thank you Fritz, I have tried re installing the client app many times and the problem persists.

@christopher.green 

Last idea...just to make sure:
some forum-members suggest to remove and install the client-software - not just run the installer again while the Client still is installed.

Thank you Fritz, I have done this and sadly I get the same error

did you ever manage to fix this @chriss 

i have the same problem.

No I didn't sadly, I have to depend on the web version which is quite limited in functionality.

@christopher.green  let me know how you go with the below fix.

just worked with tac and we fixed it

open your cmd (with admin privilege) - and then run the command below and then give it some time - shut the app and try again

fixed my issue - all the best

netsh winhttp reset proxy

basically some proxy info. cached is the issue.

I am having exact same issue on macOS. The problem started right after a password change through "Enterprise Connect".

I can no longer login to webex. Neither client nor web client works. I cleared application cache, reinstalled the client, changed VPN site and none of them worked. What steps should macOS users take for clearing cached proxy info?

Thanks,
Orkhan

@chr 

just worked with tac and we fixed it

open your cmd (with admin privilege) - and then run the command below and then give it some time - shut the app and try again

fixed my issue - all the best

netsh winhttp reset proxy

basically some proxy info. cached is the issue.

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.