Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point Predownload - Primary and Backup behaviour

PJR_CDF
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning an update to our WLC and AP's (2602s) and wanted to clarify the behaviour around the pre download function.

We are going from 8.0.152.0 to 8.3.143.0

I know from both the GUI and CLI you can issue a command to pre download software from the WLCs primary or backup image.

I believe this command relates to the version of software (either primary or backup) on the WLC. So when I upload 8.3.143.0 code to the WLC it will make that the primary code. If I then choose to predownload primary to my APs they get the 8.3.143.0 code pushed to them.

When I do a show ap image all from the CLI of the controller, where should I expect to see that 8.3.143.0 code listed?

Will I see that under primary image or backup image in the output?

I am trying to understand the AP behaviour from that point - if it puts it in primary, does it automatically put the previous code (8.0.152.0) as the backup image? Or does it put 8.3.143.0 code as the backup image?

If it puts it as the backup image, how do I get he AP to boot into 8.3.143.0?

Basically I am trying to establish what my rollback position is. 

If I push 8.3.143.0 to all APs but have to roll the controller back to 8.0.152.00 for any reason, am I OK from an AP perspective as they will have both software version images and they will automatically boot into the correct one once they contact the controller or do the APs have to be connected to the WLC in order for the command to be issue to them to tell them which software image to use as primary?

Thanks in advance

Paul

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@PJR_CDF wrote:

When I do a show ap image all from the CLI of the controller, where should I expect to see that 8.3.143.0 code listed?

Test it out.  When pre-download is finish,the version should be under the Primary column.

clive.fulton
Level 1
Level 1

What is the process to pre-download the new image to all attached APs?  Can it be done in batches? eg; batches of 10 at a time? Is there an instruction URL?

@clive.fulton wrote:

What is the process to pre-download the new image to all attached APs?  Can it be done in batches? eg; batches of 10 at a time? Is there an instruction URL?

Use CLI:  config ap image predownload primary <AP Name>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card