cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a WLC co-exist with an AP running Mobility Express?

Angel_V
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys, so i just got my first job as a Network Engineer some months ago, but the person who was in my position before me, completely destroy the networking infraestructure, i've been fixing errors all this months and i think i'm doing a great job.

So anyway, last monday i received an AIR-AP2802I-A-K9C, this AP is not compatible with my WLC OS, the WLC is running 7.6.130.0 

WLC.png

So my boss told me that the old Network Engineer said that this AP can operate by himself running Mobility Express (that explain why the AP model ends with a "C" which means this AP is running mobility express if i'm right), i investigate a lot and i think this isn't posible, but i would love to have other opinions. 

My question is: Can i somehow configure to AP to operate by himself and co-exist with the WLC environment?

Please let me know if i need to put more information here, or if this post goes in other section, thanks everyone.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, it can, HOWEVER, inter-controller roaming can be a pain to troubleshoot.
Next, old controller will see the ME controller as "rogue APs" (and vice versa).
Finally, RRM and DCA will be a PITA.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, it can, HOWEVER, inter-controller roaming can be a pain to troubleshoot.
Next, old controller will see the ME controller as "rogue APs" (and vice versa).
Finally, RRM and DCA will be a PITA.

Thank you very much! 

To be honest, i don't have much experience with Mobility Express solution, so, i just need to configure it normally? i mean, the AP that is running Mobility Express can work in the same vlan as the others AP's or do i need to configure a specific VLAN?

Thanks for your quick reply!

The documentation states that the ME can’t be on the same subnet as the WLC management nor can you have discovery enabled in which the ME can join or try to join a WLC. Like Leo said, they can coexist, but it’s like having two vendor equipment in the same site which is not a good idea.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What the ap can or can’t do doesn’t mean you should do it. I would never mix AireOS and ME in the same environment because there is no communication between the two and roaming between the two will break. This alone makes it a bad design. You should look at upgrading the existing environment if all your other apps support that code.
-Scott

Thank you very much for your recommendation.

My boss is negotiating for upgrade the WLC to a version that is compatible with this AP, but in the midle time of this he wants the AP to be working, that's why i start investigating this

So short answer: is doable but i shoul'd do it. 

Ok so in the worst case if i need to do this, any recommendation? 

There is no recommendation because the two systems are not compatible. What you have to do is let your manager know this and when devices roam from one system to another, roaming will break and the device has to do a full reauth. Also the two systems do not talk so power and channel will not be ideal.
-Scott

Thank you very much, i'll talk to my boss and try to update the WLC ASAP, thanks.

That is your best path for success. If you start adding ME within your existing network, you will get more complaints. Users will be disconnecting and will see there wireless icon with and exclamation mark and or not connected.
-Scott

Can you list here what AP models and WLC you currently have in use? Maybe it's possible to go to 8.2.x or 8.3.x or even 8.5.x, in which the new AP would also be supported.

Hello! 

Yeah, i already investigate the best version for my necesities 

The version already running is: 7.6.130.0  

And the new version will be: 8.3.150.0 

WLC3.png

The oldest APs that i have are from the series: 1140 and 1260, so i think that this version will be the best for me! 

I really appreciate your concern, if you have any suggestion i would love to read it!

Check the upgrade path in the release notes. Make sure to not skip an intermediate step and give the AP time to finish the upgrade and reconnect to the WCL. Otherwise you might loose configuration.
One more thing, if you have a valid Cisco contract, get the TAC escalation build, they have fixed some important bugs there.
For your new APs, make sure to enable the new data rates in the global configuration.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card