cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring new Cisco controllers

MathieuVHM
Level 1
Level 1

I already have quite some experience with Aruba wireless controllers. However at my new job they purchased Cisco controllers so I am now trying to master the Cisco wireless side as well. However I'm still missing several features/information and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. We are running 2x 5520 controllers in a HA setup with version 8.5.135.

1) What is the CLI command to see which WLANs an AP is actually broadcasting? I tried 'show ap wlan 802.11a <ap-name>' but that just shows the configured WLANs, not the ones actually being broadcast.

2) We have about a dozen sites, one of them being a heavy industrial site with special wireless requirements. Long story short, we would like to disable/freeze DCA for that site. Now I have looked everywhere under the AP group and RF profile settings but I can't seem to find the option. Surely this isn't a global-only option right? We still have plenty of sites where DCA is actually desired so how do we configure this?

3) Is Cisco DCA client aware? Aruba had an option to check whether clients were connected before dynamically changing the channel. We have 1 tiny remote site where they are only using 1 AP and it seems to be causing a lot of problems there. Is there an option to configure a specific interval and anchor time for that site alone? I'd like to make the DCA changes occur outside of business hours there.

4) Why in God's name do I have to disable the entire 802.11a radio for ALL my AP's when making channel changes in a specific RF profile? I was just finishing up on the migration of that heavy industrial site yesterday and wanted to remove some of 5Ghz channels because the handhelds only support UNII1 and UNII2 channels. I understand that will cause an impact for the AP's on that specific site. However following Cisco's logic, I have to disable the 5Ghz radio briefly on ALL of our sites, even the ones not using that specific RF profile? This makes it incredibly difficult to make on the fly changes as these now have to occur outside of business hours.

5) Aruba had a feature called user derivation to assign a different vlan/role for a specifically configured device, does Cisco have something similar? To give an example, we have a tablet which is not capable of 802.1x but which should land in the vlan of a 802.1x SSID. With Aruba user derivation, you could create a vlan rule on the controller based on the tablet MAC address or DHCP fingerprint, then hook the tablet up to a PSK SSID and the controller would detect the tablet MAC or fingerprint and place it in the required vlan.

6) Is there a way to apply a flexconnect group to an ap group? We have an ap group and flexconnect group for every site. It feels kind of redundant having to put a new access point in 2 different groups while those groups are actually tied together.

7) Is it normal that radio's remain disabled after moving them from the out of a box group to a new ap group? This adds a lot of manual work when setting up or migrating a site.

3 Replies 3

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1.  show wlan apgroups : It will list all ap groups, the SSIDs associated with the groups and the AP members of the group.

2. Create specific AP group fro that site, then also create a RF profile for that specific siet (Wireless > RF Profile) , assign this RF profile to AP group of that site. it will word as you asked.

3. I dont think this feature avialbe on cisco for specifi AP groups. (as per my knowledge, Only option is available on global setting)

4. NO idea, need to ask cisco.

5. I dont think its possible without using ISE. If you are using ISE then its really easy. 

6. No

7. I think its a bug ...see my post: https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/out-of-box-feature/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep, thanks for the quick reply.

Show wlan apgroups only shows the AP groups and the configured SSID's. Isn't there a command to show what an AP is actually broadcasting? If you disable a wlan, it will still show under those commands (= confusing).

By the way, is there really no option to change the DCA settings on an AP group basis? Surely we're not the only ones with multiple sites which have different requirements?

Especially #2 (no AP group DCA controls) and #4 (changes in an RF profile require global radio disable) are being real deal breakers for me here. I'd gladly throw out our old 3500 AP's if I knew this was perhaps resolved in 8.6 or 8.7.

Show wlan apgroups only shows the AP groups and the configured SSID's. Isn't there a command to show what an AP is actually broadcasting? If you disable a wlan, it will still show under those commands (= confusing).

I dont know know about any command whcih can you show you this.

By the way, is there really no option to change the DCA settings on an AP group basis? Surely we're not the only ones with multiple sites which have different requirements?

Its there, but you need to use RF profile in that AP Group to enable/disable DCA channels.

Regards

Dontf orget to arte helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card