Views
Helpful
Replies

CSMA/CA threshold for cisco products.

IgorFi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks.

Does anyone know what is CSMA/CA thresholds for Cisco APs. By that I mean how low should be a received dBm for one station to ignore the signal from another station on the same channel to avoid same channel competition? I'm interested is Cisco Air 3800 particularly.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

RichardAtkin
Level 3
Level 3

This isn't quite the context/answer to the question, but I suspect it's as close as you'll get... The Enterprise Mobility Design Guide says to aim for at least 19dB separation between different radios on the same channel..

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/Enterprise-Mobility-8-5-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-5_Deployment_Guide/Chapter-9.html#pgfId-1149071

Hi Richard. The read was not really related to the topic, but it was a good read, nonetheless. I haven't found the answer regarding the CSMA/CA threshold (that's not even an official notion), but had a look at the Cisco 3800 Data sheet and found that at the Rx sensitivity ending at -102dBm. At -102dBm the associated client can send and receive at 1Mbps only. So I guess that at around -104/105dBm, two station won't see each other (but that's a long way!). But I'm pretty sure that CSMA/CA would start ignoring another AP at higher values than -102dBm.

Good luck actually achieving -102, that’s way below the noise floor in most of my deployments! :-/

It’s the Clear Channel Assessment threshold you’re after.

Depending on why you’re looking for this, you might also want to look at Rx-SOP too, which allows the AP to effectively manipulate the CCA threshold.

"Clear Channel Assessment threshold", - Richard, you just finished my searches. That's exactly what I was after. I'm sure the "-103dbm" was not necessarily.  Thank you very much. Interesting, a CWNA (Sybex) book doesn't have anything about it. Can you advice some books that go deeper than that? Cheers.

I learned a lot from “802.11 Wireless Networks” by Matthew Gast. Even the second edition is a little old now (no 11ac, k, v), but it gets in to the nitty gritty of 802.11 and everything is well explained. Give it a read.

Thanks Richard. I just bought that book and another two - 802.11n and 802.11ac. It gets me busy for the next couple of months.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card