Views
Helpful
Replies

Is wireless half-duplex or full-duplex?

gabriela.kca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Hope you can help me, I have just been asked a question at the interview if wirelesses operates at half or full duplex and honestly I don't know if my answer was correct. Can someone tell me which one is correct and what's more important,why ?

Many thanks

Gabby

3 Replies 3

mplaksin0
Level 1
Level 1

The 802.11 family consists of a series of half-duplex over-the-air modulation techniques that use the same basic protocol. 802.11-1997 was the first wireless networking standard in the family, but 802.11b was the first widely accepted one, followed by 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac. Other standards in the family (c–f, h, j) are service amendments[further explanation needed] and extensions or corrections to the previous specifications.

802.11b and 802.11g use the 2.4 GHz ISM band, operating in the United States under Part 15 of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission Rules and Regulations. Because of this choice of frequency band, 802.11b and g equipment may occasionally suffer interference from microwave ovens, cordless telephones, and Bluetooth devices. 802.11b and 802.11g control their interference and susceptibility to interference by using direct-sequence spread spectrum (DSSS) and orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) signaling methods, respectively. 802.11a uses the 5 GHz U-NII band, which, for much of the world, offers at least 23 non-overlapping channels rather than the 2.4 GHz ISM frequency band, where adjacent channels overlap — see list of WLAN channels. Better or worse performance with higher or lower frequencies (channels) may be realized, depending on the environment.

The segment of the radio frequency spectrum used by 802.11 varies between countries. In the US, 802.11a and 802.11g devices may be operated without a license, as allowed in Part 15 of the FCC Rules and Regulations. Frequencies used by channels one through six of 802.11b and 802.11g fall within the 2.4 GHz amateur radio band. Licensed amateur radio operators may operate 802.11b/g devices under Part 97 of the FCC Rules and Regulations, allowing increased power output but not commercial content or encryption.[1]

​Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Gabriela,

99.9% of the time Wireless is half duplex. There are experiments that can result in a "full duplex" wireless network but that's all lab-based and not real-world.

Full-duplex is what most wired connections use which means two devices can send and receive data at the same time and can also detect collisions straight away. via CSMA/CD

With Wireless the devices cannot send and receive simultaneously and they cannot sense collisions. Instead they use CSMA/CA to detect usage on the frequency to see if it is safe to transmit data. There are a large number of factors that can affect a wireless signal and interfere with it which results in lower throughput.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Thank you Ric for your clear explanation, I have never really worked with wirelesses thus my answer was wrong. . .   good I know it now.

Cheers

Gabby

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card