Views
Helpful
Replies

Webauth and Webadmin certificates fail to install on a WLC 5520

ashmead123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have two certificates (Webauth and Webadmin), created using the WLC's CSR. Both fail to install. Both will TFTP onto the WLC fine using the Upload command on the GUI but fail to install.

The logs show: %UPDATE-3-CERT_INST_FAIL: updcode.c:1276 Failed to install Webauth certificate. rc = 1

The certificates were created by different authorities (internal CA and Digicert)

Both are .crt format. I have tried converting to PEM, this ends up as .cer format.

The common names (CN) are the hostname of the WLC

The WLC is in an SSO HA pair and running 8.3.133.0

Any pointers much appreciated

19 Replies 19

I’m not understanding what is wrong? Web admin and web Auth certainly are uploaded to the controller in two different locations. The cert is uploaded so it’s seems to be fine, my question would be, is there a dns entry defined and is it pointing to the right ip? Webauth points to the VIP so your fqdn needs to resolve to the VIP. The management ip resolves to the fqdn you specified on the cert. I have only used OpenSSL to generate certificates, never on the controller. Also make sure you flush out your browser dns entries after uploading the cert.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Gah! A quick "debug pm pki enable" made me notice one error.

transfer download datatype webauthcert
changed to ...
transfer download datatype webadmincert

I was downloading my webadmin signed certificate to the webauth location. Strange that it accepted that, as the CSR was generated for webadmin via the CLI.

Well it’s a cert and you can use it on either. The cert is not valid unless it can be resolved.
-Scott

If I only understood how the WLC matches private keys with certificates, then I'd agree. The WLC CLI interface specifically asks for "webadmin" and "webauth" certificates implying that different certificates are needed for each, with private keys stored in different places.

On a slightly unrelated (probably) note, how do I undo this command:

(Cisco Controller) >config certificate use-device-certificate webadmin

There is no "enable" or "disable" here and I can't find any documentation online about what this actually does. I am guessing it forces use of a builtin Cisco manufacturer certificate and would be undone when I install my own 3rd party certificate or generate a self-signed local cert? Total guess however as the Cisco Wireless Controller Configuration Guide, Release 8.5 (b_cg85.pdf) doesn't tell me anything. Sniff.

You need to go on the GUI and generate a self-signed. One you generate a self signed or upload a new cert, the wlc doesn’t keep any other cert for that purpose.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card