Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express on 3800 won't stay 160MHz on 5GHz

DJX995
Level 3
Level 3

Running Mobility Express on a 3802E.

When I select 160MHz wide bandwidth on the 5GHz radio, it stays 160MHz for a while and when I go to check on it a couple hours later, I see it has reset back to 80MHz. I don't see this on the caveats list.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 8.3 Mobility Express guide states up to 80mhz if channel bonding is used. So 160mhz isn't listed and we have to assume not yet supported. 

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 8.3 Mobility Express guide states up to 80mhz if channel bonding is used. So 160mhz isn't listed and we have to assume not yet supported. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Not yet...wow, well, we can only hope this actually works in the next release.

It's in the drop down box, and it does enable 160MHz for about an hour...

Since when did companies start releasing stuff half baked?

Every company release half baked stuff:) 

If you had a controller appliance, you would be able to set it to 160mhz.  I would never go past 40mhz in any environment unless you only have one or two AP's. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Two APs.

Thought Mobility Express would be the perfect fit.

Instead I get a boat load of missing features and half baked ideas.

The hard part is what is supported on what, and this is with other vendors also.  When you see a datasheet, that is what the AP "supports", but then you go to the technology you want, either converged access, AIREOS or Mobility Express, and features/support is listed there.  It also comes down to code on features.  This is never easy for anyone, unless you have been working in the field for a while either as an engineer or pre-sales.  It's the same thing with Aruba... Aruba Instant doesnt provide everything you can get with a controller.  Rule of thumb for both vendors is, if you want a full fledged support, get a controller.  

-Scott 

-Scott

When you see a datasheet, that is what the AP "supports", but then you go to the technology you want, either converged access, AIREOS or Mobility Express, and features/support is listed there.

^ This ^

In the case of Cisco, they will eventually support what I want in Mobility Express but not for 5 years. Like PBR on the ASA 5500 series. Just got it recently (year or so) even though that platform was out for many years before.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card