cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitor mode AP and its impact on Co-Channel interference/ channel utilization during containment.

Muhammed Adnan
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Experts,

Will a AP in Mode: Monitor, Sub-Mode: wIPS be having any contribution to co channel interference?

Will it be having any impact on channel utilization during containment?

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Will a AP in Mode: Monitor, Sub-Mode: wIPS be having any contribution to co channel interference?

No because it's only listening.
Will it be having any impact on channel utilization during containment?

Yes because it is activley sending beacons.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott as always for the helpful posts.

And when it comes to containment, what data rates would the WIPS-Monitor be using to send the de-authentication packets?
Will the RF profile of AP group in which the WIPS-Monitor Mode AP is part of be having any influence on the data rates of de-authentication packets? [Logically the RF profile should not be having any influence on WIPS-Monitor mode APs, however in my network I see the Tx power the monitor mode APs are inheriting is in accordance with the configured RF profile]

I don’t believe containment follows what you are setting for the normal client connection. Data rates are more for client negotiations and containment is not that.
I would not enable that feature as it can cause legal issues. Companies have gotten in trouble for doing that so stay away. I don’t see any need for that feature to be enabled.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
“Review