cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANs on same SSID

Bradley Fox
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community!  I'd like some experts to take a look at my solution here and see if I'm taking the correct approach.

I have the following scnerio:

1. WLC 5508 7.0.116.0
  2. Physical ports configured for LAG
  3. AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9
  4. Multiple Buildings
  5. Each Building has it's own WiFi VLAN/Subnet
  6. All buildings share SSID
  7. WiFi Clients should be assigned the correct subnet/vlan based on the building they are in

I've done the following on my 5508:

1. Setup an interface for each VLAN/Subnet
  2. Setup an Interface group and added interfaces from step 1
  3. Created WLAN (SSID) and assigned it to the interface group from step 2
  4. Created AP Groups for each Building
  5. Assigned approperiate interface from step 1 to each AP Group
  6. Assigned APs from each building to AP Groups

Does this look like the correct configuration for my goal?  I set this up using information from this article though it appears to be old and they aren't using LAG in their setup.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So all the vlans come back to where the WLC is located.... then you can use ap groups and define what ap's will have what ssid and what interface they will use.  Makes sense?

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends... is your building connected via layer 2 or layer 3.  If layer 3, you need to setup the access point in your other building in h-reap mode and setup you ssid to h-reap local switching.  This will allow you to map the ssid to the correct vlan at that location.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

This doc explains h-reap:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

My buildings are connected via Layer 2

So all the vlans come back to where the WLC is located.... then you can use ap groups and define what ap's will have what ssid and what interface they will use.  Makes sense?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I'm sorry if I'm being dense, but just to clarify.  All my vlan gateways are on the service stack the WLC is connected to so the configuration in my original post is correct?

All WiFi traffic in this scnerio will be tunneled back to the controller via CAPWAP?

Yes that is correct.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card