Views
Helpful
Replies

AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:host/LAPTOP1.domain.local

Chitra David
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

We have  windows 2008 AD and as a radius server and XP as a client. We have wireless infrastructure in place.
We use  Cisco 4400 Series Controller and 15 cisco wireless access points in our organisation . The client were connecting  automatically into the wireless network yesterday. This morning the laptops can detect the wireless network.
But a message pops on the sytem tray  which says:

Unable to connect to the Wireless network.

Windows could not connect  to MAAP(SSID) network. windows will keep trying to connect. To see  options for fixing this problem, click this message.

I logged into the wireless controller and under
Monitor- Most recent traps- It says

AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:host/LAPTOP1.domain.local
User Type: WLAN USER

Potential Honeypot AP detected from Rogue MAC : 00:25:84:87:36:d0 on Base Radio MAC : 00:23:eb:81:73:f0 Interface no:0(802.11b/g) with SSID: MAAP

I dont know if some one has hacked.

Also the intresting thing is in the first profile  WLAN-ID is MAAP which is [WPA] [Auth(802.1x] having actuall problem

My predecessors have configured a second profile called DAAP  WLAN ID which is WEP

so the clients can detect the DAAP and on the system tray if i view the available wireless network and connect  it asks for the password and it connects to the wireless network and works fine.

So the problem is only with MAAP which was working  through radius authentication and now its not working

Any ideas to trouble shoot will be much  appreaciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chitra,

Have you tried this with any other laptop other than what you have specified above?

it looks like this particular machine is trying to carry out the machine authetication (hopefully you are not using machine authetication) and all you are doing is user authetication with AD.

Try un checking the tick box which is marked as "Autheticate as computer when computer informations are available". on this machines wireless configuration

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

I checked the laptops and It was configured as Authenticate as computer when computer information is available.

This is how it was configured previously and It was working. I had built new Laptops in the past and have joined them to the domain and after adding the laptop to the member of wireless group in the AD. It was joining the wireless network automatically.

So it's not user authentication with AD.

Please help how to trouble shoot further