cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet for UC500

JP Rike
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have a preference of which Aironet to use for the UC500? Client is planning to use multiple wireless phones on the UC. The AP541 has worked well for us however, I would rather use an Aironet on this project.

- JP

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's your budget?

1130 is still available and it's very cheap.  This model will only do 802.11a/b/g.

802.11a/b/g/n APs are the 1040 (cheapest) and 1140.  These two models have internal antennas.

802.11a/b/g/n APs 3500i has internal antenna and 3500e has external antenna.  This model requires a WLC and has a unique feature called CleanAir.

802.11a/b/g/n APs 1260 is an AP which requires an external antenna.

For this project endless but within reason. The client wants solid wireless that will also look good on the ceilings / wall. We usually hide the AP541s however, he want's to be able to see the APs. And they have to go outside too.

I have read a little bit about the CleanAir technology. I wish I had a need for a WLC on this project...it would be nice to work with the 3500s.

- JP

We usually hide the AP541s however, he want's to be able to see the APs. And they have to go outside too.

Hiding an AP inside the ceiling pose some issues with the way signals are transmitted.  Sometimes inside the ceiling there are metals (such as pipes and stuffs) that don't do well with radio waves.  So it's best avoid it at all cost.  Besides, if you use either the 1040, 1140 or 3500i, then it does look pleasing to the eye.

I wish I had a need for a WLC on this project...it would be nice to work with the 3500s.

If you are going to deploy, in my humble opinion, more than 6 APs then getting a WLC is a no-brainer.  You can use this to justify getting the 3500 because it will improve the way your wireless network will react to interferrance.  If you plan to go down the path of the 3500 make sure you deploy ALL 3500 or don't deploy at all.  CleanAir works best if you deploy 3500 exclusively.

And if you are going to deploy a WLC, avoid the 2500.  Instead go for the WLC-5508.

I fully agree. Plus when someone walks in and they see "Cisco" on the ceiling they know the business is legit.

Plus when someone walks in and they see "Cisco" on the ceiling they know the business is legit.

Most of the time, people won't know what those things are until you tell them.  The APs are able to "blend in" to an office surrounding very well.

Funny you say that, some of our clients are very brand sensitive. They want Cisco, Dell, Apple or whatever showing everywhere, however they never fully think of the total cost/investment into the hardware, support, etc.

I will keep your idea of the WLC and the 3500s for the next project that we are pursuing. Saying it as you did, does make it a no-brainer. As you said, I will go ahead and use all 3500s. I am not a fan of mixing and matching products on a project, unless it is needed.

For my own education what is the big difference between the 2500 and the WLC-5508?

I just found some of your other postings referring to some of the differences:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2081062

For my own education what is the big difference between the 2500 and the WLC-5508?

I initially thought the 2500 was a major improvement to the 2000 or 2100 WLC.  Instead, it wasn't.  One of the major gripes I had with the older versions is the lack of LAG which the 2500 still hasn't addressed.

When you have a WLC, LAG is like bread-and-butter.   The only time I'd recommend someone the 2500 is when you are only deploying less than 6 AP or in a lab.  Otherwise, go with the 5508.

Funny you say that, some of our clients are very brand sensitive. They want Cisco, Dell, Apple or whatever showing everywhere, however they never fully think of the total cost/investment into the hardware, support, etc.

When you've finished putting your order, talk to your supplier.  Ask them if they can give you some Cisco stickers for the front glass door.

Hehehe.

I just did some quick research on WLC and LAG. As you said, it really is like bread-and-butter. You really do need it for the wireless network to balance the loads and operate efficiently.