Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541 quick question on voice vlan

phcjpp123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am now very used to the SG300 smartports features and use them happily with a UC320W and multiple spa504g phones around the house. On the SG300 this typically involves trunks with 1UP management vlan and 100T voice vlan going to each switch and access point. So far so good.

My question is how to propoagate that setup across a AP541 access point (via a WET200). It seems to me that each SSID on the AP541 only supports 1 vlan. Is my understanding correct? That is I would need 2 SSID's one for data and one for voice rather than settting up a single SSID with 1UP, 100T setup. The WET200 understands tagged and untagged vlans but I am guessing the AP541 doesn't ? If true it means that the AP541 can't properly be used to extend the switch network as you must either extend vlan 1 or vlan 100 but not both in my model.

Cheers

Chris

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris

you asked "  how to propoagate that setup across a AP541 access point (via a WET200). It seems to me that each SSID on the AP541 only supports 1 vlan". Is my understanding correct?"  yes , correct, a diagram would be fantastic , I am not sure what you mean by via a WET200, and this lack of understanding of the network topology affects the answer to your last question.

But are you using SPA525G2 as your wireless IP  phone, I guess the answer must be yes, as today, and I stress today, it is the only wireless IP phone that works with UC320W.

"That is I would need 2 SSID's one for data and one for voice rather than settting up a single SSID with 1UP, 100T setup. The WET200 understands tagged and untagged vlans but I am guessing the AP541 doesn't ?" AP541 maps a VIrtual AP (SSID) to a VLAN number.  It has the interesting  ability if needed  to translate multiple SSID to a single VLAN.

If true it means that the AP541 can't properly be used to extend the switch network as you must either extend vlan 1 or vlan 100 but not both in my model.  topology diagram would be great around this time.  let's continue the conversation.

regards Dave

Sorry for not replying sooner. Here is the diagram. Sg300 and UC320W are pretty much factory setup. UC320 only managing voice DHCP. WET 200 is the cisco wireless gateway.

Cheers

Chris