cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N 802.11b/g/n mode channel overlap

andyhoien
Level 1
Level 1

We have 3 AP541N units deployed in a doctors office.  All of them are set to 802.11b/g/n mode.  2 of these units are used to provide non-secured internet access to patients and are using channel 7.  The other AP is for our private network secured using WPA2/AES operating on channel 1.  There are several other access points in our proximity using channel 6 and I'm trying to minimize interference.When selecting wireless mode 802.11 b/g/n I have only channels 1-7 to choose from.  What I really want to do is change our public wlan to use channel 11 to avoid the other business's AP which are using channel 6. 

Should I be using a different mode altogether?  In your expereince which mode will provide the best transmission rates and range?

thanks.

5 Replies 5

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

The reason you are seeing only channels 1-7 while in the 40 Mhz bandwidth is that you are doubling up your bandwidth from 20. You find that setting under Wireless - Advanced Settings - Channel Bandwidth. Changing the Primary Channel selection dropdown to Upper or changing the Channel Bandwidth to 20 Mhz will give you the ability to select channel 11.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if we can assist you further.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Thanks Eric.

Besides providing support for 11 channels what else will changing the Primary Channel selection dropdown to Upper effect?

Hi Mr Hoien,

Changing the Primary Channel from Lower to Upper will only change the channels that are doubled. Lower being channels 1-7 at 40 Mhz and Upper being 6-11 at Mhz. There should be no change or effect anywhere else.

Eric

Does that mean my selectable channels will range from 6-11 only?  I would prefer to have 1-11 as options.  Will I have to change my Channel Bandwidth to 20mhz to accomplish this?  Thanks.

Hi, Hr. Hoien,

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner. The Support center here today has been very busy. Yes, In order to have chennels 1-11, you will need to select the 20 Mhz band.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866