Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N - Intermittent DHCP

Aaron Clegg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a couple of networks that contain these access points in cluster mode.  All seem to have intermittent DHCP issues that worsen with AP uptime (i.e after a few days to 2 weeks).  Client devices will successfully associate with the AP, but do not receive an IP from DHCP.  The servers issuing DHCP vary, but for example I have a site that has a 4 node cluster.  The cluster contains to VAP's, one on the default VLAN which is served DHCP by a Windows Server 2008 R2, and another on a tagged VLAN that is served by a Sonicwall.  When a device does not receive an IP it will not on either VAP simultaneously, which leads me to believe that DHCP itself is not the issue.  The kinds of devices having issues varies from Apple (iPad/iPhone) through to late model ultrabooks.

A reboot of the WAP's (or an edit of the security settings for the SSID's, which restarts the AP services) results in instant correct connectivity for the problem devices.  The AP's are running the current 2.0.4 firmware, originally upgraded from the 2.0.1 that came on the devices.  Power for the AP's is delivered by the supplied AC adapter, not POE.  The AP's are all connected to Dell Powerconnect switches.

I have seen plenty of threads regarding similar issues, but at least some seem to say that firmware updates solve the problem.  How can I get these access points to be stable enough that they don't need constant reboots?

1 Reply 1

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aaron, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community.

In this case I suggest to keep just one DHCP server instead of two. Also you could check the DHCP relay from the switch and the access points, also could you please verify the Vlan configuration.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.