Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot receive App Notifications in iphone 14 using Cisco WAP121

spiroupap
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

My name is Spyros and i am working in Marine industry. On board the ships we have Cisco WAP121 WIFI Access Points.

In every ship i face the same difficult situation.I can’t receive any notification in any app when i am connected, unless i am connected via VPN.It’s not a personal issue, all crew using iphones having exact same issue.

i am wondering if there is something to do to change that,because it’s really annoying. For instance, if i receive inbox text on whatsapp or messenger or viber i wont be able to see it,unless i open the app.

if someone has any idea that could help please

let me know.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- This doesn't look like a low level wireless problem , more related to the iphone needing to reach services such as mails or other to feed proper info's related to the application such as notifications. If you suspect that the problem is related to wireless then you must examine the logs on a WAP121  when this happens ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

This situation is constantly happening. I don’t suspect issue in Wifi signal,i am just wondering why is this “incompatibility” with iphone devices. All android devices van receive notifications except ios devices. The problem is constant and in all ios devices in general. 
Thank you.

- Make sure that WAP121 is using the latest firmware , for the rest there is not much I can do ; often we see issues with ios and Cisco wireless ; on high level/product wireless you can do client debugging to get insights ; here that is more difficult.
       Consider abandoning the ios solution for your business purpose if there no other solution can be found, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Hi Spyros 
I agree with Marce - this cannot be caused by the APs!
Connecting a VPN changes the connectivity the phones have so that means your local network must be blocking access to something on the internet that the Apple devices are using for push notifications.  The VPN allows the device to bypass those local restrictions.

So I suggest you take a close look at any content filtering, security, access list, blocking etc which you may have configured on the local network including the APs, switches and routers.  Try removing it all - confirm the notifications are working and then re-apply one at a time to discover which are blocking the push notifications.