cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Linksys WRVS4400 QuickVPN and Windows 7

macbeck22
Level 1
Level 1

I own a Linksys WRVS4400 and have used it for sometime with the QuickVPN client.  I have now added two computers running Windows 7, a 32bit and 64bit version.  I am running the latest versions of firmware and QuickVPN software but can not get it to connect in Windows7.  The software will load but hangs at "Verifying Network" before it times out.  I realize that I am not the only person with this issue and am a little concerned that Cisco does not offer a version that is Windows 7 compatible.  This is a critical issue and may cause me to investigate other hardware options. 

Is it possible to use a third party client to connect to the router though QuickVPN?  Is there possibly a beta version of a new Cisco client that may work with Windows 7?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

54 Replies 54

Can you please provide the steps you performed to accomplish this?  I have been trying to figure this out for awhile now, and if you have a solution I would be very grateful.

Thank you

marek_gernat
Level 1
Level 1

Install QuickVPN client ,dont change compatibility mode..
Make sure the Windows 7 firewall is turned on.
Restart your computer then:

1. Right click on Computer Icon
2. Select Manage
3. Select Services and Applications
4. Select Services
5. Sort by Name
6. Look for and right click on IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules (Should not be disabled, if so, do the rest below)
7. Select Properties
8. Make Startup Type be: Automatic
9. Restart PC and try QuickVPN..

Just checked.  It is not disabled, but QuickVPN still fails.

It really would be nice to be able to use QuickVPN again; it is the whole reason I purchased this router.

...Rich

Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm ready to look for a different vpn...

Austin

Have you contacted SBSC? They can help troubleshooting and determine whether it's a client-side issue or router-side issue.

It is crystal clear that Cisco is taking their clients for granted. I can’t believe a very common and urgent problem like this is not addressed yet. I am wasting tens of hours trying to get this thing to work with no luck (yes, luck became the only non-technical option left) No more. Here is what I am going to do; I will throw this piece of useless hardware – WRVS4400N – in the junk pile where it belongs, find another solution from another company who has more respect for their customers and save myself some frustration. Good bye

I've been re-reading this thread and want to thank all who have posted. These are complex issues and I assure you the Small Business Routers team is working diligently to identify root cause and resolve. We need your help, though. If you haven't already called the Small Business Support Center, please do so right away.

Small Business Support Center -- 1 866 606 1866

Support is available 24/7 for customers in US/Canada. You'll find International Support numbers here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html.

Thanks again for your post and special thanks to those of you who have worked with the Small Business Support Center to help us resolve the issues.

Stephanie Reaves

Small Business Technology Group

For a variety of reasons, I was never able to take the time to work this out with Tech Support, but I have resolved the problem as follows.

Unfortunately, I changed several things at once, so I am not sure which one solved it or if it was the combination/sequence that did it.

First, after renewing my Norton Internet Security, they gave me a deal I couldn't pass up to add Norton Utilities.  After running the registry cleaner a couple of times, I found that several nagging problems were resolved; this was NOT one of them.

However, I thought that maybe if I uninstalled QuickVPN, ran the registry cleaner, rebooted, then reinstalled QVPN, maybe that would work.  I did that, but before reinstalling, I checked the Cisco small business website and found a slightly newer version of QVPN v1.4.1.2 and downloaded it.  After uninstalling, running the registry cleaner, rebooting, then installing v1.4.1.2, IT WORKS in Win7!!

I have no idea if any one step would have worked alone or if it took the particular sequence, but this is what solved the problem for me.

...Rich

Richard -- Thanks a lot for the update and sharing your solution.

Have a great weekend.

Stephanie Reaves

Small Business Technology Group

I downloaded this new version, 1.4.1.2, and I does indeed work with both Windows 7 and Vista.  I'm very happy to have this working at last!

The major piece in this was downloading and installing QVPN 1.4.1.2. Like you stated, it is a slightly newer version of QVPN. This version is the only one that I am aware of that supports Vista and Windows 7. This includes the 32-bit and 64-bit version of that OS. XP of course is supported also.

Eric Moyers
Cisco SBSC Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

I downloaded the 1.4.1.2 QVPN software. It still did not work with windows 7, but I am using a WRV54G router. Should it work with this old router or should I upgrade to the WRVS4400. The QuickVPN client is running on a Fujitsu UH-900 pocket-pc running windows-7.

Thanks,

Austin

The firmware of WRV54G has not been kept up to support QuickVPN Client on Windows 7 or Vista.

Thank you for your reply. I'll go get a WRVS4400.

Austin

Hmmm... Looks like there is a WRVS4400N V1 and V2 hardware version. Which one works or are both okay?

Thanks,

Austin