cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Linksys WRVS4400 QuickVPN and Windows 7

macbeck22
Level 1
Level 1

I own a Linksys WRVS4400 and have used it for sometime with the QuickVPN client.  I have now added two computers running Windows 7, a 32bit and 64bit version.  I am running the latest versions of firmware and QuickVPN software but can not get it to connect in Windows7.  The software will load but hangs at "Verifying Network" before it times out.  I realize that I am not the only person with this issue and am a little concerned that Cisco does not offer a version that is Windows 7 compatible.  This is a critical issue and may cause me to investigate other hardware options. 

Is it possible to use a third party client to connect to the router though QuickVPN?  Is there possibly a beta version of a new Cisco client that may work with Windows 7?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

54 Replies 54

Thanks, the link helped find it much easier.

Unfortuately, I installed it and have the exact same results as I did with 1.3x on Win7 Pro.

It seems to connect OK, but hangs on remote gateway not responding.  The following comment is in the PDF that came with the download, however, I can't ignore it and use the connection.  If I say "no", it disconnects, if I say "yes" and try to run a remote desktop session, it can't connect.  This is exactly the situation with 1.3x.  I have double checked my Norton Internet Security setting and it appears to be set to allow all.  Any ideas on how to get this to work??

Thanks,

...Rich

While a QuickVPN tunnel is connected, the following message may appear:

"Remote Gateway is not responding, do you want to wait?" This issue occurs

when the remote QuickVPN Server is not responding to the ping sent by the

QuickVPN Client. This issue may be caused by the remote QuickVPN Server

temporarily overloaded. Users can ignore the pop-up message as long as the

traffic continues to flow through the tunnel.

I

I can confirm also that QuickVPN 1.4.0.5 does not solve the problem on clean Windows 7 install.

Still get remote gateway does not respond while verifying network.

XP SP3 pc on the same network can connect just fine to remote RV042 (latest firmware). Windows firewall off on windows 7 pc.

Can someone at Cisco confirm that this is still a problem with the new version of QuickVPN?

Windows 7/Vista firewall has to be enabled. This is noted in the release notes.

I am running Norton Internet Security 2010; it takes over and doesn't allow turning on Windows firewall.  This set up worked fine with XP.

Can you please provide instructions on what settings need to be changed in NIS to make QVPN work?  I can't be the only person using NIS 2010.  It seems to be set up to allow QVPN with a very wide open rule.  It allows any direction in/out, any computer, allcommunications and any protocol.  What more could we need to set??

Thanks.

...Rich

Does QuickVPN work if you temporarily disable Norton?

From protocol perspective, QuickVPN makes use of SSL (TCP port 443 and 60443), IKE (UDP port 500 and 4500), ESP, and ICMP. You need to make sure the third-party firewall is not blocking any of the above.

QuickVPN Client also depend on several .exe programs (see attached screenshot) that are located in the QuickVPN install directory. The third-party security software also needs to trust them in order for QuickVPN to work.

I have the same problem with Norton Internet Security 2010.  On Vista, I can turn the Windows firewall on at the same time as the Norton firewall is on and active.  On Windows 7, Norton takes control of the Windows firewall and does not allow you to turn the Windows firewall on whether the Norton firewall in active or disabled.  It would appear that Norton would have to be uninstalled to enable the Windows firewall.

With Vista, I can make a QuickVPN connection with the remote router when both the Windows firewall and the Norton firewall on.  I am not able to make a connection with Windows 7.  Most likely because I'm not able to turn the Windows firewall on.  I really don't want to uninstall NIS 2010 just to make the VPN connection with Windows 7.

If QuickVPN Client is installed on Windows 7 before Norton Internet Security 2010 is installed, I found QuickVPN Client can work properly while NIS takes over Windows Firewall. Perhaps you could try uninstalling NIS and then re-installing it.

Thank you.  I will try that later today and see how it works.  I'll report back on my findings.

OK - I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2010 and rebooted the Windows 7 PC.  I then uninstalled QuickVPN 1.4.0.5 and reinstalled it.  I verified that Windows firewall was ON and opened QuickVPN. QVPN tries to connect but then displays the message "Remote  Gateway is not responding, do you want to wait?"

I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I have not reinstalled NIS yet, I would like to make the connection without any type of internet security before reinstalling.  I have successfully connected to the QVPN using a Vista 64 bit PC after trying with Windows 7 above.

Alexander,

Did you find that this worked once you turned on the Windows Firewall?    I'm troubleshooting the problem with Symantec Endpoint Protection and after uninstall and starting the standard windows firewall QuickVPN still does not work with Windows 7.   I wonder if there is a problem with the rules after SEP is installed but Would like to verify that someone got Windows 7 clean install to work with QuickVPN.

Thank you,

Mike

No did not get it to work.

I also now have a VISTA SP2 pc where NIS was uninstalled. This one also refuses to connect with the usual

"Remote Gateway is not responding, do you want to connect".

Tried NIS removal Tool.

VISTA firewall on and off.

XP pc's just works..

Hello all,

Firstly, sorry for my English.

I post this message here because in seeking a solution to the problem mentioned here.
I found that the problem came from ipsecand I finally found a solution.

You must install the vpn client on windows XP export the ipsec configuration via ipsec.msc in
quickvpnclient directory and import within windows seven client.

For me, it works, i hope this info will be useful.

best regards,

pocketitguy
Level 1
Level 1

While the current Cisco QuickVPN Client ver. 1.3.0.3 appears to be incompatible with Windows 7, a simple workaround to resolve this problem is to change the Compatibility mode for the Cisco QuickVPN Client in Windows 7.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right click on the QuickVPN Client icon and select Properties from the drop down menu.
  2. Click on the Compatibility tab in the QuickVPN Client Properties window.
  3. Check the box for the option Run this program in compatibility mode for:
  4. Select Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down menu.
  5. Click OK.

That should do it, and your Windows 7 clients should be able to connect. This problem specifically resolves the problem with the client under Windows 7 where the log file indicates the following errors after [STATUS] Verifying Network.

[WARNING]Failed to ping the LAN IP of the remote VPN Router!

[WARNING]Ping was blocked, which can be caused by an unexpected disconnect.

Good luck.

Matt

Mikezyzni
Level 1
Level 1

Yanni,

That's a very ingenuous solution!  Were you able to do any analysis of the ipsec configuration to determine the key settings that are needed?   I'll take a look at it and see if I can isolate the problem by looking at the changes from the imported configuration.

Thank you,

Mike

sorry,
I forgot to mention that this solution works in XP mod and if only the strategy that has been imported from windows xp pc that itself has been connected once to the gateway. And I only exports FreeSwan strategy. I agree that it is a Ingenuous solution, but it works temporarly.
After looking a little more the ipsec configuration, I noticed that the security policy ipsec in firewall console was not enabled when the connexion is established. After enable this, everything works properly.

Thank you,
Yanni