cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Force Client to Use Certain WAP (WAP371)

southerndoc
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way with the WAP371 to force a client to use a particular WAP?

I have 4 WAP's throughout my house.  My Ring Doorbell wants to connect to the WAP in my office for some reason even though the signal is stronger for the WAP in our living room.

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is it actually causing an issue?  Note it may be your client with the issue, rather than the WAP.  Your client has to make the decision what WAP to connect to.  Perhaps try updating any WiFi NIC drivers.

What you could do is create an extra SSID on that one access point, and then connect to that.

It's connecting to a WAP with a lower signal for some reason.  It fluctuates between it and another WAP, and when it does, the doorbell becomes temporarily unresponsive.

Unfortunately, the doorbell has limited configurability.  If I create an extra SSID, will that not be sent throughout my cluster?

Does it not let you create the SSID on just one cluster member?  If no, I can't think of any other options.

Any software upgrades available for the doorbell?  That is the device with the issue - it is the device selecting the wrong AP.

cristgon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello southerndoc,

Thank you for using the Cisco Small Business forums. My name is Cristian, I am an eContent developer and I am part of the Small Business Support Community. I think that you can get the effect you are looking for by blocking the MAC address of your device on the three WAPs that you don't want it to connect to. Here is an article on how to do so:

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any issues or follow up questions.