cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setup Wifi Hotspot

JohnTan00
Level 1
Level 1

I need to setup a wifi hotspot for my customers at my café. The size of the café is about 100 sq metres, and max number of users is 100, though it is likely to be around 50 on normal days.

1. Is a single WAP561 access point sufficient for my usage, or should I get a 1602 aironet access point?
  2. And can the 1602 aironet access point work without a controller? Can I combine two 1602 and have them share the load if there are many users?
  3. Besides router, PoE switch and controller, what else do I need between the internet gateway and access points? And can I use a residential class router?
2 Replies 2

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello John,

I can try and answer a few of your questions, although I am less familair with the Aironets, so you may want to speak to an Enterprise Sales partner for the details there.

1. Is a single WAP561 access point sufficient for my usage, or should I get a 1602 aironet access point?

I would say a WAP561 should cover the area nicely, and support about 40 active users.  

2  .And can the 1602 aironet access point work without a controller? Can I combine two 1602 and have them share the load if there are many users?

From looking at the data sheet the 1602 does come in standalone mode, meaning it does not require a controller.  It also seems to come in a two pack, but I am not sure what if any load balancing they do without a controller being involved, again for that I would contact TAC pre-sales or a partner.

3.  Besides router, PoE switch and controller, what else do I need between the internet gateway and access points? And can I use a residential class router?

A router, PoE switch (or injectors) would be all you would need with the 561.  If you went with standalone 1602s that would be it as well.  For true load-balancing you probably would need a controller, but that would be it then as well. There are also some enterprise devices that combine these functions into one.

The WAP 561 can be clustered with other WAPs, however this is more for administration, and they do not load balance the wireless clients.  A Small Business Device does include 1 year of technical support, while most Enterprise devices require a service contract, so that is something to consider as well.

However keep in mind wireless is largely effected by the environment it is in, so you may want to look into a wireless survey to see what would work best for you.  Most Cisco Partners should be able to set something like this up, and then recommend an appropriate solution.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

JohnTan00
Level 1
Level 1

I bought the WAP561 access point and the SG200-08P PoE switch.

I would like to setup two vlans, with vlan1 used internally by employees, and vlan2 for guests who visit my cafe. How do I set it up?

Port 1 of the switch is connected to my Asus N56U router and the port is untagged on vlan1 and tagged on vlan2.

Port 3 of the switch is connected to WAP561 and is untagged on vlan1 and tagged on vlan2. I have also tried tagged on vlan1 and untagged on vlan2.

Radio 1 of WAP561 broadcast two SSIDs. The first SSID is on vlan1 and the second SSID is on vlan2. I can connect to the internet on the first SSID but unable to connect on the second SSID. When I change the second SSID to vlan1, everything works fine.

Are my configuration steps correct? And if not, how do I rectify the problem?