cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a WAP321 to extend a RV220W wireless network.

jeffrollins55
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure a WAP321 so that I have the same SSID and WPA2 password on both the RV220W and the WAP321 so that i can reach all areas of my clients location.

I am unfamiliar with the WAP321 so any help is appreciated.

2 Replies 2

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I will share with you a document in order to guide your configuration.

http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=2871

You need to configure both devices with the same attributes, also follow a little steps in order to configure it.

1. Connect all access points to a wired Ethernet network. They must be in a common network. In addition, each AP must have a different IP.

2. Use the same password for the AP (Remember to use WPA2, if you use WPA try to use a complex password),

3. Use the same SSID for all the AP's.

4. Select channels the same channels for both devices. Channels 1, 6 and 11 have no overlapping frequencies.

5. Enable DHCP service on only one of  the access points. Most DHCP servers can (optionally) to bridge the DHCP service between wired and wireless networks and provide access to wireless clients. There is no advantage if DHCP servers running on multiple access points, and have multiple DHCP servers can cause confusion. Using a single DHCP server enabled with NAT created a single private LAN.

6. Use a form of roaming (WDS or Universal Repeater).

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Johnnatan,

I'd like to set up the same configuration as Jeff's.

I've followed your tutorial but I've got a problem with the last step while configuring the WDS :

- On the RV220W, WDS is active, with a WAP key, and the WAP321's Mac Address registered.

- On the WAP321, after activating the WDS Bridge, I need to enter a WDS ID to add a WDS Interface.

Administration Guide explain that I should use the same WDS ID on both RV220W and WAP321, but I didn't find how to configure this ID on the router side.

Could you please help me on this issue ?

Regards,

Mickaël.