cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding very often

xvillafuerte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we have 9 WAP4410N with PoE in our network. They were purchased on August. We found that very often in a week, they stop responding to any clients so they cannot get IP addresses, but we can ping the devices and enter the administration page. The only solution is to reboot the AP. I found some references to the same problem in the Cisco Forums and even some bad recommendations in Amazon.com about these APs, but now is too late and we need to found a solution.

We upgraded to firmware 2.0.3.3 but problem remains. We are completly sure that IP and DNS configurations are fine and that our switches and DHCP servers work fine, too. We have in the same LAN, APs 3COm from the 9150 series with no problems. These 3Com APs use the same network services that the 4410.

Currently we are testing the Force LAN to 100 Mbps option and using mixed encryption algorithms (AES and TKIP) because at the begining, we were only using AES. But, I feel that it is not a smart procedure because it is not based on any real fact; it is, may be a desperate choice.

In order to administer those APs, we normally connect at the night so we don´t affect anyone on the network. However, when I check the administration page, I can see that the utilization rate in all the APs is always more that 40%, and I am sure, nobody is using the AP at the night. Wierd. In a normal day, no more than 20 clients are connected to each AP.

Logs have no valuable information to use in order to find a solution.

So, any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Xavier Villafuerte

246 Replies 246

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Mr. Rodriquez<

When you did your update, did you also factory reset the unit and manually enter in the configuration. It is recommended that this be dome when upgrading any FW in our devices.

Mr. Smock, I am sorry I do not know of any available option currently for V1 owners

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

Hello Eric,

Yes, when update the firmaware I apply a factory reset and reenter the config.

Best Regards

operations
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i upgraded our WAP4410N from FW 2.0.3.3 to 4.0.4.2-K9

1. Upgraded the FW

2. Factory Reset

3. Reenter the conig manuelly

About every 12 hours the device needs a restart. Because all wlan stations and smartphones lose the connection.

Hardwareinformation:

SN: SER13460132

PID VID: WAP4410N-E V02

Why this can happen?

Best Regards

I have done exactly the same thing, full reset and reconfigure without resolving the myriad of issues this unit has.

WAP4410N-E V02

SERIAL #: SER144900RU

I have given up on the unit, have replaced it with a Cisco Linksys WAG120N configured as an AP, it is infinitely more reliable and my Blackberry and Androud phones dont get black holed all the time.

I find it hard to believe that a product marketed with corporate features could be so unreliable compared to something sold for the home user market. I am willing to accept that I have wasted my money on this product, I will not make the same mistake again.

Kind Regards,

Jim.

Hello all, This is Eric Moyers. As some of you know, I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

First Thank you for postng your concerns here so that they can be addressed. I realize that your issues are becoming concerns and I promise that they are being taken seriously.

I have already pushed this new issue up the chain and the Business Unit and Development Teams and currently looking at it. As soon as I have been updated, I will immediately update this thread.

Thank you for your posts and willingness to let us know your issues so we can work to improve our products for you.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866

Mr Fresacher and Mr. Woodward, would both of you gentlemen contact me directly. I would like to ask for your help in gathering some data. If you mouse over my picture above you will find my e-mail address.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Hi,

Just on another note: I am currently running WAP4410N at home also and did see this behavior with the older firmware but since i have upgraded to latest firmware and put WAP4410N in a different location i haven't had the WAP4410N to stop working. I will continue testing and post later results; hopefully this has done the trick.

Thanks,

Jason

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

I am also experiencing these problems still, started out on 2.0.2.1  firmware, tried 2.0.3.3 and finally 2.0.4.2 when it came out and have  had no luck with a solution. Rather than AP mode, I am trying to use them as a bridge between two offices across a small parking lot.

My setup is as follows -

D4 building:

SF 300-24p PoE 10/100 w/gigabit uplink - firmware 1.0.0.27

WAP4410n PoE/AdvancedSecurity - firmware 2.0.4.2

E1 building:

SF 300-48p PoE 10/100 w/gigabit uplink - firmware 1.0.0.27

WAP4410n PoE/AdvancedSecurity - firmware 2.0.4.2

I have set both AP mode's to 'bridge' and input the MAC from the other access point, and things work fine for a while but it will randomly stop data flow 2-3 times during the day in a busy medical office and the only solution is to power cycle.

It appears that the switch firmware is up to 1.1.0.73, and since it seems that the trouble with the AP is triggered by other things I am going to try and update the SF 300 switches to see if that helps, but this problem is crippling to my office when it occurs during the day and in cases of broken sessions of medical diagnostic recordings it is costly to the practice. If there is any other information I can provide to help find the solution to this problem, please feel free to contact me!

Tib,

Have you call into support for your issue, first you want to make sure you are not having any overlapping channels with other AP's in your area. You can use inSSIDer to look at other wireless signals. Strange that you all are still experiencing the AP lock up behavior as i have been actively testing my WAP4410N with latest firmware and it hasn't lock up once, and i use to reboot it all the time. I understand your frustration; it’s a pain when you are in the middle of something and have to reboot. I'm going to set up WAP4410N in our lab for further testing with latest firmware to see if i can make it lock up as well since all my testing is at home during the evening.

Also set up Syslog logging for each WAP4410N so we can capture some logs.

SBSC @ 1-866-606-1866

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

There are other 'nearby' access points, I am using channel 8 and channels 10 and 7 are in use by other systems in the vicinity. Updating the switch firmware has only seemed to exacerbate the situation.

Unfortunately this problem has been going on far too long already and I have been directed to find alternate hardware that does not suffer this issue. I hope this gets resolved but I will not be able to contribute or test any further because the equipment is going to be returned.

In another turn of events, the WAP4410N's cannot be returned to the original supplier because someone at the office threw the boxes I had kept away to 'clean up' the place. This will allow me to continue to work on this issue and perhaps use the units as a backup or supplementary link to the new devices I have deployed.

If there is anything I can do to help the investigation, please let me know. As mentioned, the switches and bridge units are both cisco - so if it is helpful I can save and upload switch and AP configurations to you for analysis.

That is pretty much exactly what we are seeing.  A third level tech at Cisco said we had a defective unit and wanted to replace it.  I have informed him that we are seeing this behavior on three units at three seperate locations.  I have not heard back yet. 

Russell Meyer
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this exact issue with my 3 WAP4410Ns polling POE from some 3750 switches...about 2 times a week they wont allow connections, you can see the SSID but not pass data...only devices on the switches so I know its not the lack of power...they are in a 802.1q mode to allow for internal and guest access

;WAP4410N Configuration File - Version: 2.0.4.2

;MAC address: 50:3D:E5:30:DE:B8

;WPS PIN: 40326917

;The checksum: 861602

;WAP4410N Configuration File - Version: 2.0.4.2

;MAC address: 50:3D:E5:30:DE:B8

;WPS PIN: 40326917

;The checksum: 861602

I have a buddy that has deployed a few as well and he is seeing very similar stats..

Ram

Peter_Spencer
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 x WAP4410N and had lots of issues. Now they are stable. I think it's the settings below in BOLD that count.

But I did first reset the unit to factory settings; upgrade firmware; restart; and then enter all settings MANUALLY. All as per Cisco instructions. But I don't think this made any difference.

Here is my config. Anything not mentioned has not been enabled. Settings in BOLD are important I think. YMMV.

Static IP address

Force LAN Port Speed to 100M: Enabled

Discovery (By Bonjour): Enabled

Wireless Network Mode: B/G/N Mixed

Wireless Channel: 2

Wireless Isolation: (between SSID: Enabled)

Security Mode: WPA2-Personal

Wireless Isolation: (within SSID: Disabled)

WPA: AES

Pre-shared Key: All lowercase 11 a-z characters. No funny characters or numerals.

Key Renewal: 36000

Wireless Connection Control: Disabled

VLAN: Disabled

Worldwide Mode: Disabled

Channel Bandwidth: 20MHz

Load Balancing: Disabled

b.wakefield
Level 1
Level 1

I got two of these WAP4410N's about a month ago (only unpacked one). Out of the box, I was restarting the thing every few hours.

I called Cisco and was told to download the firmware from the Support site (the firmware update I'd done was the automatic one via the device interface).

They said upload the firmware to the device and to a factory reset using the hardware reset button at the back.

Did that, not expecting anything different.

It's been running for three days now, no problems... I know it's only three days, but it didn't last that long before...

;-)

Ben