cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP551 "guest wifi"

arcolino11
Level 1
Level 1

i setup the a second ssid  aka vap, it works no issues but i notice its on the same lan as my regular network this does not seem secure to me. if you know my gateway you can start digging to get to my network. or is this something i should not worry about. 

3 Replies 3

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I understand your concern, and for clarification, you are right, both SSID's will be on the same LAN by default as the WAP is not able to separate any traffic by itself.

If you are concerned about security and want to make sure the other SSID doesn't have access to your LAN, then you will need to configure VLANs on your network, but your switch and or router will need to support this feature.

I hope this helps.

ok that makes sense, create a vlan on my switch example vlan3, create a subnet for that vlan, then point the ssid on the wap to that subnet. cool

Hello, 

Yes, that will work, but you will also need something to provide DHCP for they VLAN so you will need to add it to your router also for DCHP and to route the traffic out to the Internet.

Please don't forget to grade an answer or mark it as correct if it was helpful to you so that other members can benefit from it.