Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP561 email alert for captive portal authenticated user

dsomers1024
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am setting up a Cisco WAP561 access point with a captive portal. I have the captive portal configured so the user only needs to enter an email address and then click the checkbox to accept the acceptance agreement in order to connect and proceed.

The issue I'm having is I have configured the access point to send out email alerts and I would like it to send out an email alert with the email address used to connect to the captive portal. I have been going through the administration guide and searching as much as I can and cannot find an answer.

I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to get this resolved.

Thank you!

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately email alert is only configurable to send to 3 emails that must be manually entered in. It is not possible to have the device to send an email to someone who has logged into captive portal. 

If that is a feature that you are interested in, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you to create a feature request.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the response. However I have the WAP561 successfully sending out email alerts. The issue that I'm having is I would like to have the email alert that is set out to contain the email address that a user enters in order to connect to the wireless network.

For example if a user connects to the wireless network with their laptop and as soon as they open a web browser they are presented the captive portal which asks them to enter an email address and check the checkbox to accept the acceptance agreement. Once they click Connect, have the WAP561 send out an email alert with the email address entered in the captive portal. ie. The alert says:  myemail@gmail.com successfully authenticated to the wireless network.

Is this possible?

Thank you!

I understand what you are looking for.

The only possible solution that I could imagine at the moment would be to set the log settings to 6 - Info and see if a connection shows up in the logs and at what level. Then possibly that would send through the email alerts.

The Cons to this would be for example that if the connections show up as Level 5 - Notice, then you would get all of the Level 5 - Notices and above not just the Captive Portal connection.

The other option would be as I suggested to put in a feature request.

But what you are asking for is currently not a configurable option within Captive Portal.

Eric Moyers