Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP561 no authentication page

ktwaddell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Got my very first WAP561 Access Point, trying to get Capitve Portal to work and the local authentication page never comes up for my guest login, have followed the help steps, created instance, web locate, group and user, tied them all together but nothing

Any ideas? anyone used the inhouse local database and authentication page to do this yet?

Thanks

Kev

16 Replies 16

Corbett Enders
Level 1
Level 1

I believe the "working" setup for these to dish out the Captive Portal to guests (and use some other authentication such as WPA-Enterprise for staff) is to:

1) put the WAP on your guest subnet (untagged traffic)

2) create multple SSIDs, putting the guest SSID untagged (or vlan 1) and your "private" SSID is tagged to land on the correct subnet at your switch

3) associate the captive portal with your guest SSID.

What Cisco needs to do to fix this is get the LAN settings to allow an IP on each of the various vlans you might create on the device. Then when the captive portal gets associated with an SSID that has a specifc VLAN, the Captive Portal page can then be served to the clients correctly using an IP address on that subnet.   As it is now, under what would normal config of primary SSID private and secondary SSID as guest, the clients on guest can't reach the captive portal because it is on a different subnet.

The problem with my suggestion above, is that for the private wifi SSID to use an Enterprise Radius server, once again, the WAP needs to have a local IP address on that subnet.  So the real problem here is that Cisco needs to allow these WAPs to have multiple IP addresses when using VLANing.