cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP571 - 5GHz and 2GHz wireless networks - Pings work out of the AP from devices on 2GHz works but not on 5GHz

Jean Milne
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP571, a HP 2350-24G-PoEP and two laptops set up in a very simple VLAN/WIFI experiment.

Experiment-no-ASA.jpg

Two laptops both connected to the AP on GUEST-5G can ping each other.

BUT, they can't ping the default gateway (192.168.60.1) or other wired devices on the 192.168.60.0 subnet.

Any device connected to the AP on GUEST-2G can ping the default gateway just fine.

I am at a total loss here.

When Test Laptop 1 is connected to GUEST-5G, the MAC addresses are correctly mapped to the right ports and VLANs on the switch.  Test Laptop 2 has Test Laptop 1 in its ARP table.  But, Test Laptop 1 has nothing for Test Laptop 2.

Below are screen shots of the AP configuration.AP-VLANs.png

AP-WirelessNetworks-5G.png

AP-WirelessNetworks-2G.png

I can't see any difference between GUEST-5G and GUEST-2G apart from the fact that they are 2G and 5G.

I was getting a warning about 5G not being supported by the PoE:

AP-PoE-Warning.PNG

BUT, we bought a better PoE supply and I can see in the web management that the AP is using 802.11at.

I cannot for the life of me work out why this is happening or even what other tests to do....?

I originally put this question in a different community but was have moved it (re-created and deleted the previous) as this seems to be a more appropriate location.

3 Replies 3

boatanas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Jean,

In order to allow both VLANs to propagate to teh access points you need to have the port on the switch in Trunk mode containing both VLANs, usually VLAN1 as Untagged and the second (third, fourth etc.) VLAN as Tagged.

In your case the second VLAN also needs to have a VLAN interface IP address along with a DHCP pool. Is that configured properly?

The inter-vlan routing is being done either by your switch or your router. As far as I can see in your screenshots, the access points are properly configured, so if there's no ping between the VLANs you should check the switch or the router (if any).

Borislav Atanassov
Cisco Small Business TAC

HI Borislav,

Thanks for looking at my question.

My issue isn't inter-VLAN routing.  I'm not trying to ping between VLANS.  I am trying to ping between Test Laptop 1 and Test Laptop 2 which are both in the same subnet (192.168.60.100 and 192.168.60.101).

I can successfully ping between Test Laptop 1 and Test Laptop 2 when they are both on the 2GHz wireless network. 

My issue is that I can't ping between them when they are on the 5GHz wireless network.

Thanks again,

Jean

Dear Jean,

When both laptops are connected to the 5Ghz radio what is their ipconfig /all output in cmd?

Borislav Atanassov
Cisco Small Business TAC