cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router - VPN V2.0

dieperie
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router - VPN V2.0 and seem not to work with PPPoE from bluewin.ch ( Swisscom )

Any idea ?

2 Replies 2

simsima123
Level 1
Level 1

If you use ADSL then the PPPoE settings should be applied, if you use VDSL , then DHCP needs to be used. But non of them is working for Swisscom (bluewin.ch).

Does anyone has this router working without bridging with the Swisscom Netopia device? And if yes, could anyone give an example, how to configure the WRVS4400N with Swisscom then?

After two days of searching around the internet i found out, how to configure the WRVS4400N to work with IPTV on a Swisscom VDSL connection (Netopia 7000 series) in IP passthrough mode. There aren't many options on the Netopia webinteface to configure IP passthrough to get it working with the WRVS4400N router, because the option to specify the MAC address is missing. Somehow in the command line, it's possible to specify the MAC address of the cisco router.

1. Use telnet to connect to the Netopia device.
  2. Enter the "configuration" -> "nat-default"
  3. Type "set" and change the mode to "ip-passthrough"
  4. enable dhcp
  5. and then enter the MAC address of the cisco router
  6. save configuration and restart Netopia device

that was actually the trickiest part.

on the cisco router, enable RIPv1 for send/receive, enable dhcp server. that's it

the bluewin tv cable needs still be connected to the Netopia device and the rest of the network traffic is passed over to the cisco router. like this, swisscom still has access to their swisscom tv box. i have tried using the bridge mode and the bluewin tv didn't work after a few seconds, but with the method described above, everything works like a charme :-)

hope this information helps others.