Views
Helpful
Replies

1 Dual-Band Antenna vs. 2 Single-Band Antennas

CSCO11733516
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys-

I was wondering if I was going to implement a 2504 with a 1550 series AP, would it be better to go with 2 Single-Band Antennas or 1 Dual-Band Antenna (which would mean I'd have to change the AP from an EU to an E).

What is the difference?  I am thinking it has something to do with MIMO, correct?

This will basically be used to provided wireless connectivity outdoors to a single user.  I am unsure what the NIC specs will be for the client, but I am saying its safe to say 2.4.  Although the fact that I do not know, is what is making me purchase support for both bands.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it depends on what you are wanting to do.  With the EU, you have 6 eternal antennas one for each radio.  Now if you have a long backhaul and the omni's will not be adequate for that, then you use the EU with external patch antenna.  So that is really the difference, the EU allows you to have a separate antenna type for each band.

Cisco Aironet 1552E/1552EU External Antenna Access Points

The Cisco Aironet 1552E/1552EU Outdoor Access Points are the standard models, dual-radio system with external antenna ports that are compliant with IEEE 802.11b/g/n standards (2.4 GHz) and 802.11a/n (5-GHz). The 1552E has three external antenna connections for dual-band omni or directional antennas. The 1552EU has six external antenna connections, three for 2.4 GHz and three for 5 GHz antennas, that support omni or directional antennas. They have Ethernet and fiber Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) backhaul options, along with the option of a battery backup. These models also have a PoE-out port that can power a video surveillance camera or other devices. Highly flexible models, the Cisco Aironet 1552E/1552EU are well equipped for municipal and campus deployments, video surveillance applications, mining environments, and data offload.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well it depends on what you are wanting to do.  With the EU, you have 6 eternal antennas one for each radio.  Now if you have a long backhaul and the omni's will not be adequate for that, then you use the EU with external patch antenna.  So that is really the difference, the EU allows you to have a separate antenna type for each band.

Cisco Aironet 1552E/1552EU External Antenna Access Points

The Cisco Aironet 1552E/1552EU Outdoor Access Points are the standard models, dual-radio system with external antenna ports that are compliant with IEEE 802.11b/g/n standards (2.4 GHz) and 802.11a/n (5-GHz). The 1552E has three external antenna connections for dual-band omni or directional antennas. The 1552EU has six external antenna connections, three for 2.4 GHz and three for 5 GHz antennas, that support omni or directional antennas. They have Ethernet and fiber Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) backhaul options, along with the option of a battery backup. These models also have a PoE-out port that can power a video surveillance camera or other devices. Highly flexible models, the Cisco Aironet 1552E/1552EU are well equipped for municipal and campus deployments, video surveillance applications, mining environments, and data offload.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The problem with 1 antenna per band is water ingress.

With the "E", the antennas point down. 

Thanks Scott.

Would would be the definition of a long backhaul that would affect the use of omni-directional anntennas?  Why would this affect the omnis and not the external patch antenna?

Ah, point take Leo.  I would have never thought of that.

If your trying to link upset AP's that are 1000 yard or more, you would need a directional antenna as the omni will not work. Take a look at the mesh calculator to determine if you need an omni or directional.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Ah I see. Never knew this.

Where would I find the mesh calculator?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here you go.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/range/calculator/1552_Link_Calculator_V1.xls

-Scott

wow.. scott fella, do you have such general spread sheet for other type of antenna model?

how could I get one for AP 1560 ? thanks

CSCO11733516
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks again Scott!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card