cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 AP 'Crashed Due To Software Failure'

ffacilities
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1142 CAPWAP AP running IOS 12.4(25e)JA$ on a 2504 controller running 7.2.103 that's frequently reloading. NCS is reporting the reason for the reload as 'AP Crashed Due To Software Failure'. Other 1142 APs on the same controller aren't experiencing any problems. The AP is in H-REAP mode with local switching but central auth.

Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this problem would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CPUVector 2000

I have never seen this before.

Judging from the from the high mount of Tracebacks it's either a software or hardware bug.  Now here's where things get alot murky (for me, that is).

The crashinfo is helpful because it tells me that there was a "Software forced crash".  But your WAP is running the latest code from the controller (7.2.103.0) so this is unlikely to be the case since this is the only WAP that's affected.

This now points to a possible hardware error.

However, you could try something else:  Try upgrading the bootstrap of your WAP to 12.4(23c)JA1 and see if you can find some improvements.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Either console or telnet/SSH into the WAP.  If it "crashed due to software failure", there should be a bucket-full of "crashinfo" files and subdirectories.

Post three of the latest here so we can help you troubleshoot.

Be also prepared to send a replacement. 

Nothing on the AP, but there was a crashinfo file on the controller, which I've attached.

CPUVector 2000

I have never seen this before.

Judging from the from the high mount of Tracebacks it's either a software or hardware bug.  Now here's where things get alot murky (for me, that is).

The crashinfo is helpful because it tells me that there was a "Software forced crash".  But your WAP is running the latest code from the controller (7.2.103.0) so this is unlikely to be the case since this is the only WAP that's affected.

This now points to a possible hardware error.

However, you could try something else:  Try upgrading the bootstrap of your WAP to 12.4(23c)JA1 and see if you can find some improvements.

Funnily enough, I tried that yesterday morning   I'll report back if I see any further crashes following the boot update - thanks for your help!

No issues since updating the boot ROM, so I've marked your answer correct. Thanks for the help!

Mattia.Varone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can upgrade the bootstrap of mine WAP to 12.4(23c)JA1 ?

Regards

The command is "copy tftp:///bootstrap_file.bin bs:"

Thanks for your reply.

I have put this command without success, it seems that there isn't commands copy or tftp.

Regards.

Mattia

it seems that there isn't commands copy or tftp.

That's because your AP is most likely running controller-based (aka CAPWAP) IOS.

Do these commands first:

1.  debug capwap client enable

2.  debug capwap console enable

3.  copy tftp:///bootstrap_filename.bin bs:

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

It's better put commandcopy tftp:///bs: with AP not registered on WLC ?

Read my last post. 

Yes I have read, asap I can access to AP I send to you the output.

Thanks for your support.

Hi, I cant put command list below

1.  debug capwap client enable

2.  debug capwap console enable

3.  copy tftp:///bootstrap_filename.bin bs:

I have to move AP from lwapp to autonomous mode, upgrade the boot image on AP and move it from autonomous mode to lwapp ?

Regards

I don't know why...

AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9>en

Password:

AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9#debug capwap console cli

This command is meant only for debugging/troubleshooting

Any configuration change may result in different

behavior from centralized configuration.

CAPWAP console CLI allow/disallow debugging is on

AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9#arch

AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9#archive do

AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9#archive download-sw

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card