cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1142N vs. 1131AG

burgessf
Level 1
Level 1

Due to a coverage issue, I may have to either relocate a cisco 1131 AP or replace it with an 1142N.  As for the replacement option, is the 1142 any more robust than the 1131?  Does it cover more any distance than the 1131? 

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco tries to keep the RF propagation or should I say coverage, the same... this way customers can swap one for one when migrating to a new AP model.  You might be better off just adding another access point instead of replacing, if coverage is an issue.  Also note that, its not a good idea to really mix non 802.11n and 802.11n access points.  802.11n clients will tend to stick to the 802.11n access points and might cause some issues.  You can go with the 1142's, but maybe disable 802.11n for the meantime until you replace all AP's to 802.11n.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott, thanks for your great insight.

adding to scott..

These are power requirements. 12.95 watts vs 15.4 watts.

The PoE injectors on the 1131 and 1142 use injectors that suuport a MAX of 12.95 watts.

The 1142 requires a PoE inejector with 15.4watts

More info about these 2 APs:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2062879

I will recommand: Before deploying any AP, site survey will be the best option to find out the covreage area.

Regards

No problem... the thing I see most often is companies that just keep swapping access points one for one or adding AP's here and there.  Eventually, standards change and requirements for wireless increases.  What you had before, doesn't mean it will work well now or in the future.  How we surveyed in the past isn't how we survey currently and probably will change in the future.  If wireless is an important piece of your network, eventually you will need to re-examine your wireless and your locations of access points.  Like Sandeep mentioned, your best option is a survey, but its best to prepare and budget for that in the future.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card