cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 Access Point not Broadcasting SSID's?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hey

I have a vWLC running 8.0.100.0 code, I can't upgrade due to the 1242 AP.

I have two AP's, one 1242 and one 1142, both of which are associated with the controller in local mode.

The 1142 is fine but the 1242 is not broadcasting any SSID's.

There are no WLAN groups, the controller has a fairly basic config on it.

Both radios on the 1242 show as up on the controller.

Tried an AP factory reset but no dice!

Cheers

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have a vWLC running 8.0.100.0 code, I can't upgrade due to the 1242 AP.

The entire 8.0 can support AP1242, even the latest 8.0.133.0/8.0.135.0.  I recommend upgrading to either one of the versions and try again.

Unfortunately as this is my home setup, I don't have smartnet so can't get the rest of the 8.0.x releases easily :)

I may end up buying some new AP's in future and go straight to 8.1 but would be handy to get it working before then.

Thanks

Hi,

Have checked the country code? Could be those access points are for a different country code to the setting on the controller.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hi John

They are both using the GB  country code (the working and not working AP's), which is the same as the controller.

The 1242 is associated and has downloaded the controllers 8.0.100.0 image fine but its just not broadcasting, its as if the radios are off but they are not.

Really odd.

Thanks

You use PoE or power adapters? Maybe some issue with PoE. If not enough power radios are disabled, but i think you should see some warning on WLC if that were the case.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11171191/wlc-5508-and-cisco-aironet-1242-lwapp-air-lap1242ag-k9

Sooner or later EOL AP´s will not be supported on newer WLCs sofware versions. Good that you can convert them to autonomus mode and with not too many of them in your network its manageable. We manage 100+.. Bought 20 LAP1242AG on eBay for almost nothing and converted them to autonomous APs.

True and eventually I will buy some new AP's but the 1242 is supported on the 8.0.x firmware so it should be working.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

OK so I figured out the issue, turns out it was something basic!!

The vWLC only works in flexconnect mode for AP's, the 1242 was coming up as Local so looked fine but would not broadcast the SSID's!

The 1142 I had was flexconnect, hence working fine.

Changed the 1242 to local and boom, working fine :)

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card