cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 - Different, sequential radio MAC addresses used with each new SSID

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

Using the AIR-LAP1242AG lightweight access points, I have recently observed that the base radio MAC addresses appear to increment with each SSID/WLAN that is advertised on them.

I have not noticed this on the AIR-LAP1131AG access points.

Is this supposed to work this way?

3 Replies 3

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

Update: According to Cisco TAC, incrementing the base radio MAC address for each SSID applied to the 1242 LAP is normal operation (but apparently this works differently on the 1131 LAP - go figure!)

It also makes performing post-install surveys fairly interesting since the MAC addresses don't match up.

Hi John,

Thanks for providing this good update. It is great when people provide this type of follow up (unusual:) info. 5 points for sure!

Take care,

Rob

Thanks again for the encouraging words, Rob.

One last observation, apparently (although we did not observe this in our installation), a different resource at Cisco has indicated the AIR-LAP1131's also perform an incrementing of the base radio MAC for each SSID.

As a way to more easily deal with this behavior when performing a post-installation survey, I have been working with Ekahau to see if they might be able to read the AP NAME of the Cisco access points (which is available over the RF and is currently being read by Cisco's ACU client software) in order to more easily identify these access points with multiple base radio MAC addresses.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card