Views
Helpful
Replies

1262N Autonomous AP Configuration

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

We have a couple of autonomous 1262's that I'd like to get configured.  I would like to put the Ethernet interface out on our Internet subnet and have the

clients get a RFC 1918 address from the radio's.  Our little Linksys is setup this way and the clients are PAT'ing off the Ethernet interface when they go to the Internet.

Is this possible with these guys or do I have to put the AP ethernet interface into the same subnet with the DHCP scope?  I don't have enough Internet IP's to hand out to every wireless client.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mike,

Check out :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/331777

I am attaching one of sample configs what I have.

Thanks..Salil

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

yes, this is possible.  you can have the AP be on one subnet, and the clients be on another, so long as the switch you are connecting to can be configured for a dot1q trunk.

If it can't be configured as such, the clients are going to get an IP in the same subnet as the AP.  Which is not necesarily a bad thing.  In this scenario, you would stil want the AP on a 1918 address space.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve,

Is there a document out there that explains how to setup the AP for this or is it just setting up a trunk/vlans on the switch and vlans on the AP?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Check out :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/331777

I am attaching one of sample configs what I have.

Thanks..Salil

Thanks Salil,

That helped alot.  I can get associated now but I can't get an IP address.  My setup is like this...

Client--->AP---->Router with 9port POE switch and DHCP scope.

When I do a debug dhcp on the router, I don't see dhcp requests coming in.  If I change my wireless vlan to be the native vlan, I see requests come in but I don't have a DHCP scope for that vlan.  I've attached both the 1262 and router configs.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I doubt your Wireles vlan is getting tagged with the vlan 1 and going out . You can try to change the "bridge-group 83" configurations under all interfaces to "bridge-group 1"

But this is an assumption, you can wait for experts reply

Thanks

NikhiL

Hi Mike,

Config looks good to me. Few things :

For your AP port :

Set to access vlan = 83 and PLug a laptop. Do you get an IP ?

If no, can you try to reboot the router . I have instances in the past that fixed such issue..

If yes, I am assuming you are passing authentication .. "show dot11 association all" should prove it..

Thanks..Salil

Thanks again Salil,

Well...a reboot did not fix the issue.  I did some debugging on the router and found I needed a helper address on my vlan83 SVI pointing to my vlan1 SVI.  Once I put that on I started getting IP addresses over wireless.

So this is what I have setup just to make sure I've designed this right...

I have the AP's Gig interface sitting on my public IP subnet.  I have a vlan on the AP thats assigned to my SSID and my router is the DHCP server for that subnet.  I'm NAT overloading on the router for the 192.168.83.x subnet so wireless clients can get to the Internet. 

Everything seems to be working fine so far.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I suspected ip-helper but given your router was working as dhcp I thought it would work. So requested the test !!

But glad you are all set..If so, can you mark this question answered so others can benefit when they search.

Enjoy your new Home wireless !!

Thanks.Salil

Mike,

Since the AP is N capable why not set it to get 300mbps ? 

Ex:

interface Dot11Radio1

encryption vlan 83 mode ciphers aes-ccm

speed  basic-6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.

channel width 40-above

interface Dot11Radio0

encryption vlan 83 mode ciphers aes-ccm

speed  basic-6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.

Thanks..Salil

Thanks Salil,

I'll give it a shot to see it work but the Gig interface is only connected at 100Mb...due to the switch limitation in our router.  I seem to remember setting up a 802.11n network with 1252's and I thought the ethernet interfaces had to be connected at Gig speeds or it would fall back to a, b or g.  Is this correct?

Mike

MIke,

you can still connect at the N rates, but you'll bottleneck at the ethernet port.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda figured that as well.

One more question.  If I want to bring up another autonomous AP on the other side of our building with the same SSID...is there any special configuration so users can roam between the two AP's with little disruption?

Thanks,

Mike

so long as the client can hear both the AP, and the configs are the same, they should roam just fine.

nothing special, per-se.  Just matching configs, with the exception of the address on the AP itself.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

Nice.  Thanks a million for both you guys help....  It's much appreciated.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card