cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1310 Bridge Signal Strength

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have two 1310g bridges in a point to point configuration, one root and the other non-root. How do I measure the signal strength between them, I am looking for something like the ACU utility which shows signal strength from an AP to the laptop.

Other than using RF instruments can I use the web interface/CLI to figure out how much signal strength I am getting from the other bridge. The LED's on the back of the bridge only tell you if you are getting signal from the other bridge but not how much signal from the other side.

3 Replies 3

Gustavo Novais
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, you can type the following command at the CLi "dot11 dot0 linktest" (that will execute a linktest) much about the same manner you can do it through web interface on Network interfaces->802.11 radio There you will see a tab pointing to diagnostics....

When you run the command you'll see some quantitative data (good, poor, fair) and some qualitative data about the strenght and the quality of the link

Strangely enough, I didn't find any referece to it on 1300 config guide... correct if I'm wrong.

By the way, I'm having very strange problems concerning signal strength on a very similar situation (link about 1200m using yagi's). Could you tell me what kind of power values are you getting?

Tnx

I am attaching the output from my link test. In my case I have parabolic antenna. My distance is about half of yours.

Can you tell me based on this whether my values are close to the theoritical values I should be getting.The output does say it is Good but I wanted to get an idea as to which values I should be concentrating on?

Hello, based on what you've sent, I think that your signal strenght is very good, around -30dBm

Unfortunately, on my situation, I'm having -70dBm, which is originating some packet loss, and generally a bad connection. I've tried to tweak the radio settings that I could, but I can't get that value to rise. Qualitatively the result is oscillating, from poor to fair to good, and back to poor...

If it wasn't too much trouble could you please send a config from one of your bridges, along with a show controllers dot0, and a sh dot11 associations all, just to see and check if I'm doing something wrong. You could mail them to gustavo.novais@novabase.pt.

Thank you in advance!

Gustavo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card