Views
Helpful
Replies

1562d - Redundant Ethernet Interfaces

ksbolton1
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all,

My question is this: Can I use both of the ports (built-in Ethernet, and Ethernet via GLC-T-RGD SFP) on the Aironet 1562d AP to allow for a redundant links back to my PoE switch? I'd be using both Ethernet ports as power source via PoE.

My reading has shown me this so far: 

"All models of the AP support data connections through the Ethernet port and the Small Form-factor Pluggable (SFP) port. However, both the Ethernet port and the SFP port cannot be used for data at the same time.

If the SFP is detected and active, the Ethernet port is disconnected. If the SFP is not detected, the Ethernet port stays connected"

Since I've found the above, I now wonder would the SFP Ethernet port be able to receive power from PoE switch?

Would it be feasible to have the SFP Ethernet port act as the primary link, and THEN if something does happen to the STP cable connected to it (a break, for example) then have the built-in take over? (I'm assuming that's possible since the above quote says once "the SFP is not detected, the Ethernet port stays connected".

How would I have either of them correlate to the same management IP address? I'm thinking of a SVI with both ports as trunk.

So, am I making sense here or will I just have to resort to using the single built-in Ethernet port? Redundancy is important because this AP will be used for a wireless bridge at pretty ridiculous heights. Physical access may be restricted in the future. I would really appreciate any and all feedback.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Nope. Won't work. It's either SFP or copper.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Nope. Won't work. It's either SFP or copper.

Hmm, thanks for the quick reply. 

So once I plug in the SFP, there's no way to say have the SFP up and the copper down in normal operation. Then if the SFP fails at Layer 1, then the copper detects that the SFP can no longer be sensed so error ooeratiop would have SFP down and copper up?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: