Views
Helpful
Replies

17km (9mile) link

l.cabral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In order to make a wireless link of 17km can I use two 350 WorkGroup Bridges? Or should a Bridge be used? Over this link must pass VoIP.

Thanks in advance,

Leonardo

4 Replies 4

Hi Leonardo.

The 350's workgroup bridges are not designed to the use you want to give.

You should use the 350 wireless bridges for your point-to-point wireless link. For a 17Km link, the parabolic dish works very well. You also have QoS and other options, since you're going to pass VoIP.

I had a client who uses a wireless network to pass VoIP and normal IP traffic, it works very well.

Cheers,

Francisco.

Francisco,

Thanks for your reply. When talking with some Cisco guy from pre-sales, he told me that I can make the link using one Bridge and one Workgroup Bridge. What do you think about? He'll borrow me one and one to make a test.

cheers,

Leonardo

Hi Leonardo

Just a couple of things to be aware of. On a Wireless link over 6 miles (which this is) it will be affected by "Earth Bulge", that is, line of sight, essential in this type of connection, will be lost. I take it that you either have antenna masts or your buildings are of a reasonable height, upon which you can place the parabolic dish, mentioned in a previous post.

Also, just to confirm, the Workgroup Bridge is designed for connecting up to 8 PCs that cannot support wireless equipment themselves to a Wireless AP. I have never heard them being used for this type of implementation. You would certainly lead a couple of bridges for this. However, if you get the WGB to work, let us know!

Ok, I'll be doing the test next week, so I'll let you know.

Bye,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card