Views
Helpful
Replies

1810W Security Screw

RichardAtkin
Level 3
Level 3

Morning folks.

We have some 1810Ws on loan from Cisco along with the additional mounting kits which come with a Torx Security Screw.  The screw is described as being an M2x5.5 Torx - pictured below (the increments you can see on the ruler are in mm).

The question is, what type of bit is needed to drive the screw and where can I buy it in the UK?

The smallest star-shaped bit I have with a hole for the security pin is a T8, which is pretty darn small, but it's still way too big.  I've taken the screw to the usual places, screwfix, tool depot, etc.. but nobody seems to have anything smaller than a T8 in stock.  Any ideas please!?

Thanks,

Richard

1810W Torx Security Screw1810W Torx Security Screw

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Apparently the required size is a Torx Security 5.5. (Torx being the star shape and Security being the pin in the middle)

They are hard to find on the Internet, let alone in a physical store. Looks like we probably need to buy from the US.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Apparently the required size is a Torx Security 5.5. (Torx being the star shape and Security being the pin in the middle)

They are hard to find on the Internet, let alone in a physical store. Looks like we probably need to buy from the US.

Hello,

We just ordered a bunch of 1815W's which appear to have the same screw as the 1810W's.  I have been trying to find a business to purchase the proper Torx screwdriver but I cannot find one, even with the link that is in this thread.  I can find plenty of Torx 5.5 normal screwdrivers, but not any security/tamperproof screwdrivers.

Thank you,

Aaron

There's a nice selection of Torx security screwdrivers on Amazon.com.  Also some useful Wiha's Torx security screwdrivers on Amazon.co.uk.  Quality is important with these types of screwdrivers.  Cheap ones tend to have a soft metal tip that will mess up the screw.  https://besttoolz.com/torx-screwdriver-buyers-guide/ has some pointers and does a good job explaining what's important when purchasing one.

JC-SE
Level 1
Level 1

I can verify that the screwdrivers linked below work on these screws. We're just beginning our installation of around 1,700 1815w's, so we'll see how they hold up.

Spare screws are also difficult to find, so I ordered the ones I linked below. They aren't tamper-resistant and they're 0.5mm longer, but they work great when the original screw gets lost in the carpet. They're also only around $8 for 100 of them. 

Screwdrivers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08998GX65/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3Z95072RWGA565G2RBX5

Screws: https://www.amazon.com/Torx-Screws-Countersunk-Head-100-piece/dp/B01DDN6XME?th=1 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card