cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2500 Wireless controller and client DNS

Scott Edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Our company was recently acquired and subsequently network infrastructure started to change. We were using Meraki AP's but have moved over to Cisco 2500 Wireless Controller and AP's. One thing I am missing is the ability to see client hostnames via the web interface. So far the only information shown is the MAC address and IP address of the clients (other columns as well but not necessary for this discussion). Is there a way to have the controller pull the hostname of the device. If I need to track down a machine I first have to log into the controller and grab the IP address then login to the DHCP server and match the IP to the hostname. This seems like a simple function but I am unable to figure out how to enable this.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What type of authentication are you doing?  you need to be doing an EAP type to see the clinet host-name information.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

you can see the user or client name if you integrate WLC with a RADIUS server (ISE).

click on the MAC address (colored blue text which has a hyperlink) and look under the field 'User Name'.

see helpful link

http://ccnawirelesswannabe.blogspot.com/2016/09/configuring-radius-server-cisco-ise-on.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card