cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2504 Wireless Controller mDNS "ERROR : Maximum SP entries allowed = 0"

maarten111
Level 1
Level 1

I can't get mDNS to work with my brand new Cisco 2504 Wireless Controller. I tried firmware 8.1.102.0 and 8.1.122.0 but both give the same error (after enabling debugging) when an mDNS enabled device (Apple TV, printer, scanner, ...) announces itself:

*Bonjour_Msg_Task: Nov 05 16:58:56.647: bgFindBonjSrvProviderName : 1431 SRV = Airplay exists in SERVICES-DB with no SERVICE-PROVIDERS !!
*Bonjour_Msg_Task: Nov 05 16:58:56.647: bgInsertBonjSrvProviderString : 1663 SRV = Airplay SP = Vergader._airplay._tcp.local. ORIGIN = SRV_PROVIDER_DB TTL = 4500 .
*Bonjour_Msg_Task: Nov 05 16:58:56.647: bgInsertBonjSrvProviderString :1684 ERROR : Maximum SP entries allowed = 0 !!
*Bonjour_Msg_Task: Nov 05 16:58:56.647: ERROR : Cannot INSERT srv = Airplay sp = Vergader._airplay._tcp.local. !!
*Bonjour_Msg_Task: Nov 05 16:58:56.647: bgInsertBonjSrvProviderString() FAILED for NON-PRIORITY srv = Airplay sp = Vergader._airplay._tcp.local. !
*Bonjour_Msg_Task: Nov 05 16:58:56.647: Inserting SP: Vergader._airplay._tcp.local. failed !!

Adding a "Priority MAC" using the GUI results in a similar popup message: "Maximum priority MAC addresses per service reached"

I can't find where this maximum of 0 is defined.

I tried the following:

- firmware upgrade to 8.1.122.0

- disabling all mDNS related settings and enabling them again

- removing and re-adding the entire _airplay._tcp.local. service

But nothing helps. Next step is downgrading to 8.0 firmware but I would rather keep it running the latest firmware.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roll back to 8.0.115 and wait for Cisco to release a new version which will fix the issue. It will probably be in the next release as the impact is marked at Severe.

Please rate useful posts and mark answers as correct if applicable.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron O'Hare
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like it may be related to this known bug (effects 8.1 releases)

CSCus71140

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCus71140

-AO

I found that one as well, but it is marked fixed, and it relates to wired connections, where I'm in a fully wireless environment.

Agreed it is but they dont list a fix or a new code version.

The symptoms appear the same as well, I'm looking to see if I can replicate.

-AO

Roll back to 8.0.115 and wait for Cisco to release a new version which will fix the issue. It will probably be in the next release as the impact is marked at Severe.

Downgrading to 8.0.121 made it work. The release notes actually state that 8.1.x does not support Bonjour:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn81.html#pgfId-1282964

(via: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12561976/wlc-2504-bonjour-airprint-diffrent-subnet)

Which is strange given that all configuration options are still there in 8.1.x

Glad to hear you got it working. Now we patiently wait for Cisco to release a fix for 8.1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card