Helpful
Replies

3802E weaker 5GHz

DJX995
Level 3
Level 3

The power level on 2.4GHz is 22dBm.

The power level on 5GHz is 23dBm.

Scanning around with a WiFi analyzer I consistently see the 5GHz signal -10 lower than the 2.4GHz.

Even line of sight.

Is this a defective 3802E?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If your signal is still -67 or better on the 5ghz when 20 feet away, then that is good. Don't compare the signal of the 2.4ghz vs 5ghz because the 2.4ghz is a lower frequency.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This sounds like expected behaviour to me.

I forgot to mention that the antennas are: 

AIR-ANT2535SDW-R

Which should have 5dB gain on 5GHz and 3dB gain on 2.4GHz.

So, I don't understand.

I have more power and more antenna gain on 5GHz but a weaker signal?

The 5Ghz band looses signal faster the the 2.4Ghz band.  If you go far enough way, you should be able to reach a point where you can't get a 5Ghz connection but can still get a 2.4Ghz connection.

Even with a total of 28dBm (with antenna gain factored in) on 5GHz vs 25dBm (with antenna gain) on the 2.4GHz side?

Even if you match the power or legs say EIRP or even go 6dbi lower on the 2.4ghz, the lower the frequency the less susceptible to attenuation.  

-Scott 

-Scott

So you agree that the AP is good/acting normal?

Even line of sight, say 20ft, to see this difference?

What are you using to capture the RSSI/SNR/Noise?  Line of sight you see signal like -67dbm or better on both.  When you go further out, the 2.4ghz will extend further than the 5ghz  they will never be the same.  

-Scott 

-Scott

Just using some free WiFi analyzer on a smart phone. Is there another preferred application to use (PC or Android)?

I see the -10dBm difference line of sight and it gets worse the further away you go.

I thought the point of the new "B" regulatory domain was to put 5GHz on par with 2.4GHz by increasing the power level.

If your signal is still -67 or better on the 5ghz when 20 feet away, then that is good. Don't compare the signal of the 2.4ghz vs 5ghz because the 2.4ghz is a lower frequency.

-Scott 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card